This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Two cases of solitary benign intrathoracic nerve sheath tumor (neurofibroma), in which the lesions were atypically situated, are reported.
In the first case, the tumor was situated in the right anterior axilla and was derived from the fourth intercostal nerve; in the second instance, the lesion was found imbedded in the apical portion of the right lower lobe. Both cases constitute rarities in the literature.
In each instance, the lesion was discovered accidentally during routine roentgenographic examination of the chest.
The general subject of benign intrathoracic neurogenic tumors, including diagnosis and treatment, is reviewed.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Circumscribed Intrathoracic Neoplasms.J. A. M. A. 1942; 119: 395
- Solitary Primary Neurogenic Tumor of the Lung.J. Thoracic Surg. 1946; 15: 251
- Mediastinal Tumors.Ann. Surg. 1946; 123: 749
- Huge Intrathoracic Fibroma.J. Thoracic Surg. 1944; 13: 6
- Neuofibroma and Neurosarcoma of Peripheral Nerves.Arch. Surg. 1936; 33: 733
- Resection of the Left Vagus Nerve for Multiple Intra thoracic Neurofibromas.J. A. M. A. 1943; 123: 409
- Neurofibromatosis With Intrathoracic Neuofibroma.New England J. Med. 1937; 216: 551
- Cervico-thoracic Neurofibromatosis.J. Mt. Sinai Hosp. 1943; 10: 414
- Surgical Treatment of Intrathoracic Tumors.Arch. Surg. 1929; 19: 1679
- Surgical Treatment in 14 Cases of Mediastinal or Intrathoracic Perineurial Fibroblastoma.J. Thoracic Surg. 1934; 3: 590
- Intrathoracic Tumor (Fibrosarcoma).S. Clin. North America. 1935; 15: 1123
- In Nelson's New Loose-Leaf Surgery. 1943; Vol. 4: 471
- Intrathoracic Tumors of Sympathetic Nervous System.Surg., Gynec. & Obst. 1946; 82: 682
- Multiple Neurofibromatosis With Special Reference to Malignant Trans formation.Arch. Surg. 1931; 22: 258
- Intrathoracic Neurogenic Tumors.J. Thoracic Surg. 1944; 13: 116
- Intrathoracic Neurofibroma.Arch. Surg. 1940; 40: 973
- Intrathoracic Tumors of Nervous Origin.Mém. Acad. de chir. 1945; 71: 19
- Benign Intrathoracic Tumors.S. Clin. North America. 1937; 17: 905
- Neurofibroma of the Posterior Mediastinum.Surgery. 1947; 2: 875
- Primary Neurofibroma of the Lung.Am. Rev. Tuberc. 1940; 41: 801
- Primary Neurogenic Tumor of the Mediastinum.J. Thoracic Surg. 1943; 12: 247
- Benign Mediastinal Tumors.S. Clin. North America. 1947; 27: 596
- Ganglioneuroma of the Mediastinum.Canad. M.A.J. 1943; 49: 397
- Human Cancer.in: Lea & Febiger, Philadelphia1932: 762
- Neurofibroma and Neurilemoma.J. Capetown Post-Grad. Med. 1946; 5: 1
- Neuroblastoma of the Mediastinum With Pheochromoblastomatous Elements.Arch. Path. 1943; 35: 571
Received: January 20, 1949
© 1949 Published by Elsevier Inc.