This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
A case of A. aerogenes meningitis with bacteremia following an appendectomy with spinal anesthesia which was successfully treated with streptomycin is reported.
Sixteen cases in which A. aerogenes was thought to have been cultured from the spinal fluid were found in the world literature. These cases have been briefly reviewed.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Streptomycin in the Treatment of Infections; A Report of 1,000 Cases.J.A.M.A. 1946; 132: 4-11
- Streptomycin in the Treatment of Infections; A Report of 1,000 Cases.J.A.M.A. 1946; 132: 70-77
- Streptomycin for Certain Systemic Infections and Its Effect on the Urinary and Fecal Flora.Arch. Int. Med. 1945; 76: 269-277
- The Clinical Use of Streptomycin; A Study of 45 Cases.in: Proc. Staff Meeting, Mayo Clin. 20. 1945: 440-462
- Streptomycin: Its Clinical Uses and Limitations.J.A.M.A. 1946; 132: 200-206
- A Peculiar Case of Purulent Meningitis in the New-Born.Tr. Am. Pediat. Soc. 1922; 34: 192-196
- Meningitis Following Spinal Anesthesia; Report on 11 Cases.Lancet. 1941; 1: 242-243
- The Nature of Meningitis Following Spinal Anesthesia and Its Prevention.Brit. M. Bull. 1946; 4: 106-108
- Friedländer's Bacillus Septicemia and Meningitis; Report of a Case and Autopsy With an Analysis of 29 Cases Collected From the Literature.Arch. Int. Med. 1943; 72: 319-328
- Ueber einen Fall von Meningitis, verursacht durch Bacterium lactis aerogenes.Centralbl. f. Bakteriol. (Abt. 1). 1904; 37: 496
- A Case of Infection of the Meninges by Bacillus Lactis Aerogenes.Lancet. 1928; 2: 1237
- Meningitis Due to Mucoid-Encapsulated Bacilli. Report of 2 Cases.Tr. Roy. Soc. Trop. Med. & Hyg. 1935; 29: 143
- An Analysis of the Experience With Streptomycin in United States Army Hospitals; Preliminary Report.Surgery. 1946; 20: 749-760
- Meningitis Caused by Friedländer's Bacillus or Aerobacter Aerogenes; Report of 2 Cases With Autopsies.Am. J. Clin. Path. 1947; 17: 534-537
- Streptomycin in the Treatment of Meningitis; Report of 27 Cases Treated at the Boston City Hospital.Ann. Int. Med. 1947; 27: 494
- Aerobacter Aerogenes Meningitis.Bull. U. S. Army M. Dept. 1947; 7: 722-726
- Meningitis suppurativa beding durch Bacterium lactis aerogenes.Prag. med. Wchnschr. 1900; 25: 169
- Bacillus Coli immobilis capsulatus (Wilde) bei einem Falle von eitriger meningitis cerebrospinalis.München med. Wchnschr. 1907; 54: 617
- Meningitis Caused by Bacterium Aerogenes.Virginia M. Monthly. 1931; 58: 248
- Meningitis in Infants and Children With Special Reference to Age-Incidence and Bacteriologic Diagnosis.J. Pediat. 1933; 2: 696
- Eine eigentümliche Meningitisform bei einem Säugling hervorgerufen durch Bactium lactis acrogenes.Arch. f. Kinderh. 1938; 115: 145
- Abstract, J. Bacteriology. 1940; 39: 757
- Aerobacter Aerogenes Infection of the Urinary Tract.J.A.M.A. 1949; 141: 837-839
Received: April 5, 1950
© 1951 Published by Elsevier Inc.