This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
One hundred consecutive cases have been analyzed in which hospital work-up, including myelogram, has been carried out prior to disc operation. Negative operative findings were present in 4 patients.
Over-all accuracy of the lumbar myelogram was found to be only 60 per cent. In 12 cases there were relatively unimportant discrepancies, but in 28 cases major discrepancies were found. This confirms our previous impression that a negative myelogram should not contraindicate the performance of disc surgery when symptoms and physical findings indicate operation. Nor is it necessary to subject the patient to myelography when the history, clinical course, and physical findings definitely indicate a disc lesion and the surgeon is able to determine the approximate location of the abnormal disc.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- An Evaluation of Myelography in the Diagnosis of Intervertebral-Disc Lesions in the Low Back.J. Bone & Joint Surg. 1950; 32-A: 257-266
- An Evaluation of Myelography in the Diagnosis of Intervertebral-Disc Lesions in the Low Back.J. Bone & Joint Surg. 1950; 32-A: 306
- Myelography in Lumbar Inter vertebral Disk Lesions. A Correlation With Operative Findings.Brit. J. Surg. 1946; 34: 141-157
- The Roentgenologic Diagnosis of Intraspinal Protrusion of Intervertebral Disks by Means of Radiopaque Oil.J. A. M. A. 1939; 113: 2024-2049
- Myelography by the Use of Pantopaque in the Diagnosis of Herniations of the Intervertebral Discs.Am. J. Roentgenol. 1945; 53: 319-340
- Discrepancies in Myelography, Statistical Survey of 200 Operative Cases Undergoing Pantopaque Myelography.Surg., Gynec., & Obst. 1948; 86: 559-564
Received: April 9, 1952
© 1952 Published by Elsevier Inc.