This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Ligation of the inferior vena cava was employed in the treatment of 20 cases of recurrent pulmonary embolism.
The criteria for diagnosis and the indications for operation are discussed. The operation is comparatively innocuous and has a low mortality rate.
Proper postoperative care reduces sequellae to a minimum. A certain percentage of undesirable sequellae is outweighed by the benefits of the correctly indicated operation.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Thrombosis and Embolism; Review of 202 Patients Treated by Femoral Vein Interruption.Ann. Surg. 1943; 118: 728
- Pulmonary Embolism Following Venous Ligation.A. M. A. Arch. Surg. 1952; 64: 200
- A Statistical Study of Postoperative Venous Thrombosis and Embolism.in: Proc. Staff Meet. Mayo Clin. 16. 1941: 33
- Vena Cava Inferior Ligation in Congestive Heart Failure.Am. Heart J. 1955; 50: 112
- Phlebitis; A Study of 748 Cases at the Boston City Hospital.New England J. Med. 1955; 253: 579
- A Critical Evaluation of Anticoagulant Therapy in Peripheral Venous Thrombosis and Pulmonary Embolism.Surg. Gynec. & Obst. 1958; 106: 129
- Ligation of the Vena Cava in the Treatment of Heart Failure.Am. Heart J. 1956; 43: 97
- Venous Pressure in Disorders of the Venous System of the Lower Extremities.Surgery. 1945; 18: 669
- An Appraisal of Bilateral Superficial Femoral Vein Ligation in Preventing Pulmonary Embolism.Surgery. 1951; 29: 819
- Pulmonary Embolism—A Clinical Study of 97 Fatal Cases.Surgery. 1954; 36: 650
- Fatal Pulmonary Embolism—A Ten Year Study.Am. J. Surg. 1959; 97: 274
- Some Basic Observations on Venous Thrombosis and Pulmonary Embolism.Surg. Gynec. & Obst. 1951; 93: 1
- Ligation of the Inferior Vena Cava or Iliac Veins—A Report of 36 Operations.New England J. Med. 1946; 235: 1
- Ligation of the Inferior Vena Cava.Surgery. 1945; 18: 85
- Vena Cava Ligation in Thromboembolic Disease.A. M. A. Arch. Surg. 1952; 65: 600
- Pulmonary Embolism: A Statistical Study of Post-Mortem Material at the Massachusetts General Hospital.New England J. Med. 1949; 241: 679
- Late Sequellae of Inferior Vena Cava Ligation.Surg. Gynec. & Obst. 1951; 93: 153
- Ligation of the Inferior Vena Cava in Thromboembolism: Report of 36 Cases.Surg. Gynec. & Obst. 1947; 84: 385
- Acute Massive Venous Occlusion of the Lower Extremities.Surgery. 1951; 29: 355
- Use of the Phlebomanometer: Normal Venous Pressure Values, and a Study of Certain Clinical Aspects of Venous Hypertension in Man.Am. Heart J. 1946; 31: 387
Received: April 21, 1960
☆Supported by Jeanne Goetzel Foundation.
© 1960 Published by Elsevier Inc.