This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
- 1.1. Mucoepidermoid tumors are rare in the bronchial tree. The 2 cases reported here bring the total number of cases in the literature to 13.
- 2.2. Mucoepidermoid tumors can be distinguished from other bronchial adenomas by their characteristic morphology, endobronchial appearance, and natural history.
- 3.3. Bronchial adenomas composed exclusively of mucus-secreting glands closely resemble mucoepidermoid tumors in their natural history and pathogenesis.
- 4.4. One of the cases reported here is unique in that it is the only recorded example of carcinoma supervening in a mucoepidermoid tumor of the bronchus.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Bronchial adenoma; A report of 70 cases and a critical analysis of the literature.Acta chir. scandinav. (Suppl.). 1954; 185: 1
- Carcinoma (cylindromatous type) of trachea and bronchi and bronchial adenoma; comparative study.Cancer. 1954; 7: 633
- Tumors of the major salivary glands.in: Atlas of tumor pathology, Armed Forces Institute of Pathology. National Research Council, Washington, D. C1954 (Sect. IV, Fasc. 2)
- Mucous gland adenoma of bronchus; report of case with histochemical study of secretion.Am. J. Clin. Path. 1956; 26: 151
- Benign tumors of the lungs with special reference to adenomatous bronchial tumors.Dis. Chest. 1950; 17: 644
- Über gutartige Bronchialtumoren (Cylindrome und Carcinoide).Virchows Arch. path. Anat. 1937; 300: 46
- Über einen Muco-epidermoid-Tumor des Bronchus.Ztschr. Krebsforsch. 1957; 62: 133
- Adenoma of bronchus.Ann. Otol. Rhin. & Laryng. 1951; 60: 290
- Adenoma of the bronchus.Ann. Otol. Rhin. & Laryng. 1930; 39: 689
- Über nur regionär bösartige und über krebsig entartete Bronchusadenome bzw. Carcinoide.Arch. Path. Anat. 1956; 328: 635
- Über schleimbildende Bronchusadenome.Virchows Arch. path. Anat. 1957; 330: 224
- Tumors of the lower respiratory tract.in: Atlas of Tumor Pathology, Armed Forces Institute of Pathology. National Research Council, Washington, D. C1952 (Sect. V, Fasc. 17)
- The surgical treatment of cylindroma (adenoid cystic carcinoma) and muco-epidermoid tumors of the bronchus.J. Thoracic Surg. 1959; 38: 709
- Bronchial adenomas arising in mucous glands; illustrative case.Am. J. Path. 1953; 29: 339
- Adenomatous polyp of the right main bronchus producing atelectasis.J. Pediat. 1935; 7: 791
Smetana, H. F.: Quoted by Liebow.12
- Bronchogenic carcinoma; analysis of 100 autopsy cases.Mil. Surgeon. 1952; 3: 335
- Muco-epidermoid tumors of bronchus arising from surface epithelium.Am. J. Path. 1958; 34: 671
- Muco-epidermoid tumors of salivary glands.Ann. Surg. 1945; 122: 820
- Peripheral bronchial adenoma of mucous gland type; clinical and pathologic aspects.J. Thoracic Surg. 1955; 29: 626
Received: January 19, 1962
© 1962 Published by Elsevier Inc.