This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Gangrene of the lower extremities has rarely occurred after inferior vena cava ligation. Three cases of major arterial thrombosis and gangrene following inferior vena cava ligation are reported. It is postulated that arterial thrombosis may occur after this procedure when blood flow is critically curtailed by arteriospasm and increased venous pressure.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Extensive arterial and venous thrombosis complicating ulcerative colitis.Arch. Int. Med. 1936; 58: 17
- Late results of inferior vena cava ligation.Surgery. 1955; 37: 622
- Obstruction of the abdominal aorta and inferior vena cava due to “saddle thrombus” and tumor mass respectively: Report of case.J. Iowa M. Soc. 1941; 31: 12
- Analysis of blood flows in digital plethysmographs.Angiology. 1957; 8: 109
- Effect of venous pressure on volume pulsation.in: Proc. Soc. Exper. Biol. & Med. 42. 1939: 858
- Physiologic studies in five patients following inferior vena cava ligation.in: Proc. Soc. Exper. Biol. & Med. 53. 1943: 135
- Effects of changes in venous pressure on blood flow in limbs.Am. Heart J. 1943; 25: 631
- The pattern of vasospasm following acute arterial and venous occlusions: Micrometric study.Surg. Gynec. & Obst. 1948; 87: 641
- Therapeutic venous occlusion.Arch. Surg. 1932; 24: 1016
- Thrombophlebitis; the role of vasospasm in the production of the clinical manifestations.J. A. M. A. 1940; 114: 117
- The innervation of the veins: Its role in pain, vasospasm, and collateral circulation.Surgery. 1946; 19: 731
- The acute effects of peripheral venous occlusion on blood flow in the dog's leg.in: Fed. Proc. 1. 1942: 68
- Vascular responses in man to ligation of the inferior vena cava.Arch. Int. Med. 1947; 80: 587
- Late sequels of inferior vena cava ligation.Surg. Gynec. & Obst. 1951; 93: 153
- An experimental evaluation of partitioning of the inferior vena cava to prevent pulmonary embolism.in: S. Forum. 10. 1960: 680
- Ligation of artery and concomitant vein in operations on the large blood vessels.Arch. Surg. 1928; 17: 244
Received: December 22, 1961
© 1962 Published by Elsevier Inc.