This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
The right side was involved in 221 of 400 patients undergoing operation for groin hernia. The appendix was removed as an incidental procedure in 43 of the 221. We believe that the incidental removal of the appendix during the repair of a groin hernia is a safe combination of procedures if the consent for its removal has been obtained, the appendix is readily found, the cecum can be brought into the neck of the hernial sac, and the technique described is followed. No patients in this series developed any complications in the postoperative period because of the appendectomy. Although antibiotics were used earlier in the series as a prophylactic measure, we do not believe this is necessary.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Prophylactic postoperative antibiotics.A. M. A. Arch. Surg. 1959; 79: 190
- Appendectomy during right inguinal herniorrhaphy.Ann. Surg. 1959; 149: 110
- Surgical sepsis: Impressions and facts.Surgery. 1959; 46 (Discussion of Barnes, B. A., Behringer, G. E., Wheelock, F. C. Jr., and Wilkins, E. W., Jr.): 247
- Should the appendix be removed in all cases where the abdomen is open for other causes?.Atlanta J. Rec. Med. 1908; 10: 410
- Hysterectomy in 861 selected cases.Surg. Gynec. & Obst. 1960; 110: 182
- Why incidental removal of vermiform appendix when reasonably possible should be the rule.Am. J. Obst. 1913; 67: 481
- Routine appendectomy in laparotomy.Lahey Clin. Bull. 1953; 8: 98
- Technique of appendectomy, with particular reference to the treatment of the appendical stump.Surgery. 1937; 2: 532
- Incidental appendectomy in obstetrics and gynecology.Obst. & Gynec. 1958; 12: 727
- Routine removal of appendix in right inguinal herniorrhaphy; report of 96 appendectomies in 100 consecutive operations for hernia.Ann. Surg. 1929; 90: 266
Received: January 8, 1962
© 1962 Published by Elsevier Inc.