This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Resectional therapy for pulmonary tuberculosis in children is both safe and effective. In this particular series of 51 resections in 50 children, there were no operative deaths and only 1 late death 4 years after resection, due to nontuberculous pneumonitis. There was 1 late postoperative reactivation which cleared on isoniazid therapy. The remaining patients are free of disease.
Operative intervention is rarely required in patients under the age of 1 year. In general, in patients below the age of 10, resection will be required because of primary tuberculosis. In the older children, with notable exceptions, resections will be for chronic reinfection for the same indications as in adults.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Tuberculosis in children.Am. J. Dis. Child. 1948; 75: 55
- Tuberculosis in childhood and adolescence.in: Tavistock House North, London1954: 175
- Pulmonary resection in childhood tuberculosis.Dis. Chest. 1954; 26: 442
- A critical examination of the role of surgery in the treatment of primary pulmonary tuberculosis in children.Thorax. 1957; 12: 329
- The surgery of primary pulmonary tuberculosis in children.Thorax. 1957; 12: 159
- Le traitement de la tuberculose de l'enfant.in: Masson & Cie, Paris1956: 119
- Lateral curvature of the spine following thoracoplasty in children.J. Thoracic Surg. 1937; 6: 595
- Discussion of Fischer and del Missier,10.J. Thoracic Surg. 1959; 38: 522
- Die epituberkulose infiltration der lunge bei tuberkulosen sauglingen und kindern.Jahrb. f. Kinderh. 1920; 93: 88
- The surgical treatment of tuberculosis in children.J. Thoracic Surg. 1959; 38: 501
- Segmental atelectasis in children with primary tuberculosis.Am. Rev. Tuberc. 1959; 79: 597
- Pulmonary resection in the treatment of tuberculosis.Am. Rev. Tuberc. 1949; 59: 10
- Der primare lungenherd bei der tuberkulose der kinder.Urban and Schwarzenberg, Berlin1912
- Pulmonary resection for tuberculosis.Quart. Bull. Sea View Hosp. 1947; 9: 222
- Surgical treatment of pulmonary tuberculosis in childhood and adolescences.Thorax. 1956; 11: 186
- Resection for pulmonary tuberculosis in infants and children.Dis. Chest. 1960; 37: 176
- Resection of tuberculosis strictures of main bronchi in 3 cases.Thorax. 1955; 10: 229
- Excisional surgical treatment of pulmonary tuberculosis in children.Am. J. Dis. Child. 1950; 79: 30
- Indications for treatment of tuberculosis in children.Am. J. Surg. 1955; 89: 645
- Chronic pulmonary tuberculosis in individuals with known previous primary tuberculosis.Dis. Chest. 1960; 38: 473
- Endobronchial tuberculosis in children; a study of 156 patients.Am. Rev. Tuberc. 1958; 77: 39
- Collapse of the lung associated with primary tuberculosis: a review of 51 cases.Thorax. 1960; 15: 346
- Behavior of pulmonary tuberculosis lesions; pathological study.Am. Rev. Tuberc. 1955; 71: 1
- Surgical treatment for pulmonary tuberculosis in childhood.Brit. J. Dis. Chest. 1960; 54: 255
- The pathogenesis of tuberculosis.Charles C Thomas, Publisher, Springfield, Ill1951
- Role of resection for pulmonary tuberculosis in children and adolescents.Am. J. Surg. 1955; 89: 649
- Resection for pulmonary tuberculosis in children and adolescents.Surg. Gynec. & Obst. 1952; 95: 751
- Endobronchial tuberculosis in children.Lancet. 1956; 2: 995
- Middle lobectomy for tuberculosis in childhood.J. Thoracic Surg. 1960; 39: 175
Received: October 11, 1961
☆Supported in part by National Institutes of Health Grant No. 5635 (C1).
© 1962 Published by Elsevier Inc.