This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Description is given of a technique for the correction of anomalous pulmonary venous drainage into the superior vena cava associated with superior marginal defects of the atrial septum. This consists of construction of a tunnel within the cava to direct all pulmonary vein blood down through the septal defect into the left atrium, and then inlaying a pericardial patch into the superior vena cava and right atrium as a gusset to provide an adequate pathway for superior caval blood into the right atrium. This operation has been employed in 5 cases with very satisfactory results.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Atrial septal defect.in: Ejnar Munksgaard, Copenhagen1960: 27
- Congenital malformations of the heart and great vessels.in: Gould S.E. Pathology of the heart. ed. 2. Charles C Thomas, Publisher, Springfield, Ill1960: 269
- The surgical treatment of partial and total anomalous pulmonary venous connections.Ann. Surg. 1958; 148: 249
- Experimental and clinical studies of a siphon-filling disc-oxygenator system for complete cardiopulmonary bypass.Ann. Surg. 1960; 151: 285
- Treatment of anomalous pulmonary venous connections in association with interatrial communications.Surgery. 1956; 39: 389
- High defects of the atrial septum.J. Thoracic Surg. 1958; 36: 1
- The surgical anatomy of atrial septal defects, experiences with repair under direct vision.Ann. Surg. 1955; 142: 401
- Experimental study of tissue and prosthetic grafts with selected application to clinical intracardiac surgery.Ann. Surg. 1961; 153: 321
- Simple technique for implantation of experimental grafts in the outflow tract of the right ventricle.Ann. Surg. 1960; 152: 65
- Atrial septal defect secundum.J. Thoracic Surg. 1959; 37: 52
- An experimental study of the effect of ligation of pulmonary veins in the dog.J. Thoracic Surg. 1948; 17: 44
Received: July 31, 1961
☆This study was supported by grants from the National Heart Institute, National Institutes of Health, United States Public Health Service, and from the American Heart Association.
© 1962 Published by Elsevier Inc.