This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
In a series of 80 animal experiments, glucose loading of the heart afforded significant protection to the anoxic myocardium, as assessed by ventricular function curves and myocardial contractile-force studies. This myocardial protection was observed at 37 °, 28 °, and 10 °C. and was associated with markedly increased myocardial “glucose uptake.” An hypothesis to explain these findings is presented.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Resistance strain gauge arches for direct measurement of heart contractile force in animals.in: ed. 15. Proc. Soc. Exper. Biol. & Med. 84. 1953: 263
- Experimental comparison of methods for protecting the heart during aortic occlusion.Ann. Surg. 1962; 155: 25
- The relationship between glucose load and utilization in normal and diabetic rat.in: Cox C.F. Foglia V.G. Lelon L.F. Ochoa S. Perspectives in biology. Elsevier Publishing Company, Amsterdam1963
- Metabolism of albumin bound labelled fatty acids in man.in: Sinclair H.M. Essential fatty acids. Academic Press, New York1958
- Effect of myocardial ischemia at varying temperatures on left ventricular function and tissue O2 tension.J. Thoracic & Cardiovas. Surg. 1961; 42: 84
- Regulation of glucose uptake by muscle. The effect of insulin, anoxia, salicylate, and 2:4 dimiprophenol on membrane transport and intracellular phosphorylation of glucose in the isolated rat heart.Biochem. J. 1959; 73: 573
- The glucose fatty acid cycle.Lancet. 1963; 1: 786
- Ventricular function. I. Starling's law of the heart studied by means of simultaneous right and left ventricular function curves in the dog.Circulation. 1954; 9: 706
- Differential cardiac hypothermia for elective cardioplegia.Ann. Surg. 1960; 152: 845
Received: February 27, 1964
☆Supported in part by United States Public Health Service Grants HE-06664(HEPP) and HE-08021 and The Medical Foundation, Inc., of Boston.
© 1965 Published by Elsevier Inc.