This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
The chemosurgical method for the conservative amputation of gangrenous toes and other parts consists of the chemical fixation of the tissues with zinc chloride and the subsequent excision of all but a thin layer of the fixed tissues. The fixation-excision sequence is repeated until a grossly observed gangrene-free level is reached.
In favorable cases the final layer of fixed tissue separates in about 10 days and the wound heals with the formation of a soft, smooth, stable, well-vascularized scar.
In a series of 380 patients with 446 gangrenous lesions, healing took place in 324 instances (72.6 percent). There were no deaths attributable to the operative procedure.
The method extends conservative amputation to a considerably larger group of patients than was possible previously.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Chemosurgery, a microscopically controlled method of cancer excision.Arch. Surg. 1941; 42: 279
- Chemosurgical treatment of cancer of the skin: A microscopically controlled method of excision.J. A. M. A. 1948; 138: 564
- Chemosurgery in cancer, gangrene, and infections.Charles C Thomas, Publisher, Springfield, Ill.,1956
- Conservative amputation of gangrenous parts by chemosurgery.Ann. Surg. 1941; 114: 274
- A follow-up study of arterial reconstructive procedures in arteriosclerosis obliterans.Wisconsin M. J. 1961; 60: 185
Received in revised form: January 21, 1964
Received: September 16, 1963
☆Aided by the Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation and the Thomas E. Brittingham Fund.
© 1965 Published by Elsevier Inc.