This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
A type of gastrectomy which avoids difficult and dangerous duodenal dissection by closure of the pylorus following excision of the antral mucosa is described. In dogs, this closure was compared to both the standard duodenal stump closure and to Bancroft's antral closure. The pyloric closure was equal in strength to the closure of normal duodenum and was leak-proof. The Bancroft closure was considerably weaker and showed leakage. The results in 16 clinical cases undergoing such a procedure and the advantages of a safer and easier gastrectomy which avoids dissection of a scarred duodenum are presented.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Surgical treatment of duodenal ulcer.Arch. Surg. 1942; 44: 501
- Gastric resection for duodenal ulcer: Follow-up studies.Ann. Surg. 1942; 115: 530
- A modification of the Devine operation of pyloric exclusion for duodenal ulcer.Amer. J. Surg. 1932; 16: 223
- Basic principles and supreme difficulties in gastric surgery.Surg. Gynec. Obstet. 1925; 40: 1
- Gastric exclusion.Surg. Gynec. Obstet. 1928; 47: 239
- Safety in performing partial gastrectomy in peptic ulcer.Ann. Surg. 1961; 153: 256
- Complications in hospital following partial gastrectomy for peptic ulcers, 1936–1959.Surg. Gynec. Obstet. 1963; 117: 211
- Abdominal operations.Appleton-Century-Crofts, Inc.,, New York1961
- The management of the ulcer bearing portion of the duodenum during subtotal gastrectomy.Surgery. 1959; 46: 496
- Antral exclusion with vagotomy for duodenal ulcer.Ann. Surg. 1957; 146: 3
- Method of closing the pyloroantral pouch in the antral exclusion operation.Surgery. 1942; 12: 731
- A method of management of the duodenal stump after gastrectomy.Surg. Gynec. Obstet. 1954; 98: 376
Accepted: November 13, 1969
© 1971 Published by Elsevier Inc.