This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
From our careful study of the specimens of 78 patients with diverticular disease of the colon, it seems reasonable to assume that there is a striking difference between diverticular disease localized in the sigmoid and diverticular disease which is diffuse throughout the whole colon. There are obvious differences in etiology, pathological findings, and clinical symptoms, which have been described and commented upon in the text.
The indicated surgical treatments are also different. In the diffuse diverticular disease, in which the most frequent surgical indication is severe hemorrhage, subtotal colectomy is necessary. In the case of localized sigmoid diverticula, a limited sigmoid resection is the procedure of choice in most instances.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Colectomy in the treatment of massive melena secondary to diverticulosis: Report of a case.Ann. Surg. 1953; 137: 558
- The clinical features of hemorrhage from diverticula of the colon.Gut. 1963; 4: 273
- Localized diverticulitis in the transverse colon.Brit. J. Surg. 1949; 36: 319
- Discussion of Patterson's paper.Amer. J. Gastroent. 1965; 44: 346
- The muscle abnormality in diverticular disease of the sigmoid colon.Brit. J. Radiol. 1963; 36: 385
- The muscle abnormality in diverticular disease of the colon.in: Proc. Roy. Soc. Med. 56. 1963: 798
- Hemorrhage from diverticular disease of the colon.Amer. J. Surg. 1968; 115: 247
- Massive hemorrhage in diverticular disease of the colon.Amer. J. Gastroent. 1967; 47: 41
- Solitary giant diverticulum of the sigmoid colon.Brit. J. Surg. 1968; 55: 398
- Massive hemorrhage from diverticula of the colon with demonstration of the source of bleeding.Ann. Surg. 1964; 159: 570
- Annals of the Latin American Association of Proctology.in: Second Congress, Montevideo. vol. II. 1963: 431
- Diverticular disease of the colon.J. Indian Med. Prof. 1965; 12: 5466
Received: January 19, 1970
☆Presented at the Eleventh Congress of The Pan-Pacific Surgical Association, Honolulu, Oct. 14–22, 1969.
© 1971 Published by Elsevier Inc.