This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Arterialization of the liver associated with portacaval shunt was performed in cirrhotic rats by creating an anastomosis between the right renal artery and the hepatic stump of the portal vein. This procedure prevented the onset of early postoperative liver failure which follows portacaval shunt alone. It appeared, however, to be harmful to the liver both structurally and functionally after a few weeks. This should be taken into account if arterialization is considered in cirrhotic patients.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Portacaval shunt with arterialization of the hepatic portion of the portal vein.Surg. Gynecol. Obstet. 1972; 135: 529
- The importance of the haemodynamic changes in cases of cirrhosis of liver before and after porta-systemic shunt anastomosis.Br. J. Surg. 1966; 53: 695
- Mesures simultanées des clearances de la bromesulfonephtaléine (BSP) et de l'or colloïdal radioactif Au198 chez le rat normal.Rev. Fr. Etud. Clin. Biol. 1964; 9: 232
- L'anastomose porto-cave expérimentale chez le rat normal. Technique et résultats préliminaires.Presse Med. 1963; 71: 1859
- The effect of portacaval shunt on estimated hepatic blood flow and oxygen uptake in cirrhosis.J. Clin. Invest. 1953; 32: 526
- Artérialisation portale par la veine ombilicale reperméabilisée.Presse Med. 1968; 76: 581
- A suitable technique for total arterialization of the dog liver.Surgery. 1954; 35: 879
- Effect of increased hepatic blood flow upon liver regeneration.Arch. Surg. 1954; 69: 263
- Further experimental observations on animals with arterialized livers.Surgery. 1955; 38: 181
- The effect of liver arterialization upon ammonia clearance.Surg. Gynecol. Obstet. 1962; 115: 704
- Hemodynamic factors reflect prognosis after porta-caval shunt.in: ed. 2. Surg. Forum. 23. 1972: 334
- Total arterialization of the liver.Br. J. Surg. 1957; 45: 83
- Total arterialization of the liver with portacaval shunt in the treatment of portal hypertension due to intrahepatic block.Surgery. 1970; 67: 883
- Some effects upon the liver of complete arterialization of its blood supply. III. Acute vascular necrosis.Surgery. 1953; 34: 207
- Experimental arterialization of the liver.Surgery. 1961; 49: 611
- Hemodynamic observations following arterialization of the portal vein.Arch. Surg. 1972; 104: 696
- The importance of hemodynamic studies in management of portal hypertension.Ann. Surg. 1963; 158: 387
- Segmental portal arterialization of canine liver.Surgery. 1963; 53: 689
Received: July 18, 1973
☆Supported by Research Grant No. 318 from UER Bicêtre, Université Paris-Sud.
© 1974 Published by Elsevier Inc.