This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
The results of the treatment and the possible prevention of acute hepatic encephalopathy by the intravenous administration of levodopa to cirrhotic patients with gastrointestinal bleeding are described. In all four patients there was a striking improvement of the comatose state together with a reversion to normal of the previously abnormal electroencephalogram within several hours. The improvement of hepatic coma by the administration of levodopa and other clinical and experimental evidence suggest that there may be a disturbed dopaminergic transmission in this condition.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Biochemical and pharmacologic effects of alpha-methyl tyrosine in man.J. Clin. Invest. 1968; 47: 577
- Mechanism of action of l-dopa in hepatic coma.in: ed. 2. Surg. Forum. 123. 1971: 220
- Treatment of hepatic coma and hepatorenal syndrome.Am. J. Surg. 1972; 123: 222
- Erfahrungen mit l-dopa in der therapie des Parkinsonismus.Psychiatr. Neurol. (Basel). 1963; 146: 246
- Metabolism of norepinephrine in the central nervous system.Pharmacol. Rev. 1966; 18: 1201
- The “caudate-spindle.” II. Facilitatory and inhibitory caudate-cortical pathways.Electroencephalogr. Clin. Neurophysiol. 1961; 13: 519
- Electroencephalographic analysis of the central effect of dihydroxyphenylalanine.Electroencephalogr. Clin. Neurophysiol. 1970; 28: 259
- Emergency splenic vein—right atrium shunt for massive esophageal hemorrhage with cirrhosis of liver and inferior vena cava occlusion.Ann. Surg. 1973; 177: 411
- J. A. M. A. 1971; 218: 1127
- Levodopa in hepatic coma.Lancet. 1970; 2: 1341
- Methionine toxicity in liver disease and its prevention by chlortetracycline.J. Clin. Sci. 1965; 15: 93
- Encephalopathy after portacaval anastomosis.Lancet. 1968; 2: 999
- The effect of L-3,4-dihydroxyphenylalanine and dL-5-hydroxytryptophan on rigidity and tremor induced by reserpine and chlorpromazine.Life Sci. 1964; 3: 351
- Traitement du come hépatique par la l-dopa.Press Med. 1971; 79: 2226
- Some observations on the EEG in hepatic coma.Electroencephalogr. Clin. Neurophysiol. 1962; 14: 53
- Levodopa in hepatic failure.J. A. M. A. 1972; 220: 1247
- Provocation of abnormal EEG by intravenous administration of ammonium chloride in patients with hepatic disease.Med. J. Osaka Univ. 1963; 14: 151
- L-dihydroxyphenylalanine: Effect on S-adenosyl-methionine in brain.Science. 1970; 169: 395
Received: September 11, 1973
© 1974 Published by Elsevier Inc.