This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Total body asanguineous hypothermic perfusion proved successful as a treatment of otherwise acute lethal carbon monoxide intoxication in dogs. The technique may prove the therapy of choice in human carbon monoxide poisoning. The rapidity with which carboxyhemoglobin can be removed and replaced with normal hemoglobin containing red blood cells and the technical safety of the procedure warrants its clinical exploration in suitable cases.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Total body asanguineous hypothermic perfusion and blood exchange in dogs.Ann. D. C. Med. Soc. 1973; 42: 1
- Blood volume and extracellular fluid.in: ed. 2. Charles C Thomas, Publisher, Springfield, Ill1971: 224-227
- Redistribution of body carbon monoxide after hemorrhage.Am. J. Physiol. 1971; 200: 868
- Asanguineous hypothermic total body perfusion in the treatment of Stage IV hepatic coma.J. Surg. Res. 1972; 12: 7
- Resuscitation of a patient in Stage IV hepatic coma using total body washout.J. Surg. Res. 1972; 13: 159
- Carbon monoxide poisoning.Arch. Surg. 1968; 96: 211
- Survival after asanguineous total body perfusion.Surgery. 1963; 54: 244
- Function of cytochrome. P-450 of microsomes.in: ed. 5. Fed. Proc. 24. 1965: 5
- A study of the convulsive seizure caused by breathing oxygen at high pressures.U.S. Nav. Med. Bull. 1935; 33: 327
- Treatment of carbon monoxide poisoning with oxygen under pressure.Lancet. 1960; 2: 905
- The treatment of carbon monoxide poisoning with oxygen at two atmospheres absolute.Ann. Occup. Hyg. 1962; 5: 259
- Carbon monoxide poisoning.Ann. N. Y. Acad. Sci. 1965; 117: 684
- Gas chromatography procedure for the determination of carboxyhemoglobin in post mortem samples.J. Forensic Sci. 1967; 12: 529
Received: October 10, 1973
© 1974 Published by Elsevier Inc.