This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Totally isolated canine kidneys were perfused at 37°C. for 240 minutes with whole blood from dogs that had undergone a sham operation or a unilateral nephrectomy 24 hours Previously. Renal blood fl ow, glomerular filtration rate, serum sodium, and serum osmolality mere not significantly different in the experimental and control preparations. Nucleic acid synthesis as measured by 3H-adenine incorporation was 75 percent higher (p < 0.01) in the kidneys perfused with blood from the neprectomized dogs. This result supports the theory that a blood-borne factor stimulates nucleic acid synthesis and initiates compensatory renal growth.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Experiments on the physiology and course of compensatory renal hypertrophy.in: ed. 3. Proc. Staff Meet. Mayo Clin. 9. 1934: 333
- Renal function in the isolated perfused kidney.Surg. Gynecol. Obstet. 1968; 127: 1257
- On the calorometric determination of creatinine by the Jaffe reaction.J. Biol. Chem. 1945; 158: 581
- Cell proliferation in compensatory renal growth.Br. J. Urol. 1965; 37: 201
- Mechanism of compensatory renal hypertrophy.J. Physiol. 1971; 219: 507
- Compensatory renal enlargement: Hypertrophy versus hyperplasia.Am. J. Pathol. 1966; 49: 1
- Renal sodium transport and oxygen consumption.Am. J. Physiol. 1961; 201: 511
- The three-kidney rat: Renal isografts and renal counterbalance.J. Urol. 1973; 109: 19
- Compensatory renal hypertrophy: The role of immediate vascular changes in its production.J. Urol. 1970; 103: 564
- Demonstration and partial characterization of a humoral renal growth factor.Clin. Res. 1966; 14: 383
- Compensatory renal growth: Evidence for tissue specific factor of renal origin.J. Urol. 1969; 101: 648
- Compensatory growth of the kidney.N. Engl. J. Med. 1969; 280: 1446
- Mitosis stimulating factor in serum of unilaterally nephrectomized rats.in: ed. 3. Proc. Soc. Exp. Biol. Med. 99. 1958: 350
- Compensatory renal hypertrophy: A morphologic study in transplant donors.J. Urol. 1973; 109: 952
- Compensatory renal hyperplasia.J. Urol. 1967; 98: 36
- Hyperplasia after unilateral nephrectomy and role of excretory load in its production.Am. J. Physiol. 1961; 201: 517
- The kidney.in: Oxford University Press, New York1951: 568
- Renal hemodynamics.Am. J. Med. 1964; 36: 698
- Humoral regulation of renal mass.Surgery. 1972; 72: 300
- Function in a pump-oxygenator-dog kidney preparation, blood perfused with added substances.in: ed. 3. Fed. Proc. 25. 1966: 327
Accepted: November 3, 1975
☆Supported in part by National Institutes of Health Grant HL-10416 and the Urology Research Fund, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania.
© 1976 Published by Elsevier Inc.