This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Poor results in the treatment of lung cancer have led to the development of several techniques designed to obtain tissue for diagnosis and to determine the feasibility of resection. Although mediastinoscopy has obtained great popularity, we have been dissatisfied with it because of the low yield of positive results and the attendant increases in length of operations and hospitalizations. We have modified the old technique of thoracoscopy, using a sterilized sigmoidoscope inserted through an intercostal space with the patient positioned and prepared for thoracotomy. Although most frequently used in patients with lung cancer, this procedure also has been helpful in patients with coin lesions, mediastinal tumors, and penetrating wounds of the chest. Although we agree that mediastinoscopy is useful in selected patients, we believe that thoracoscopy offers a greater number of patients a reliable means of obtaining the proper diagnosis more efficiently.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Directed biopsy using a small endoscope.N Engl J Med. 1974; 291: 1398
- Diagnostic thoracoscopy.Ann Thorac Surg. 1973; 16: 79
- Mediastinal biopsy: Selective or routine?.Am Surg. 1977; 43: 74
- Positive mediastinoscopy.Ann Thorac Surg. 1974; 18: 346
- Ueber die Möglichkeit die Zystoskopie bei Untersuchung seröser Höhlungen anzuwenden.Munch Med Wochenschr. 1910; 57: 2090
- Mediastinoscopy and mediastinal roentgenology.Ann Thorac Surg. 1974; 18: 531
- Positive mediastinoscopy.Ann Thorac Surg. 1974; 18 (Discussion of Fosburg et al.): 346
- Editorial Comment.Arch Surg. 1974; 109: 118
- Mediastinoscopy.Ann Thorac Surg. 1974; 18: 433
☆Presented at the Thirty-fourth Annual Meeting of the Central Surgical Association, Buffalo, N. Y., March 3–5, 1977.
© 1977 Published by Elsevier Inc.