This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Four renal allograft recipients between 8 and 14 years of age died of acute fulminating infections less than 72 hours after the onset of symptoms. These patients all had undergone splenectomy at the time of related donor renal transplantation. Because the therapeutic value of splenectomy in renal transplantation has not been established, the role of adjunctive splenectomy is evaluated, and the relationship between splenectomy and overwhelming infection is discussed. As a result of these acute deaths in 4 of 62 children undergoing renal transplantation at this institution (6.4%), splenectomy in conjunction with renal transplantation in children has been discontinued.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Hyposplenism and overwhelming infection: A reappraisal.Am J Med Sci. 1971; 262: 101
- Hazard of overwhelming infection after splenectomy in childhood.N Engl J Med. 1967; 276: 1225
- Overwhelming pneumococcal sepsis 25 years after splenectomy.Am J Med Sci. 1975; 270: 523
- Studies of renal homotransplantation in man.Ann NY Acad Sci. 1964; 120: 578
- Comparative results of cadaver and related donor renal homografts in man and immunologic implications of the outcome of second and paired transplants.Ann Surg. 1966; 164: 352
- Case 36—1975.N Engl J Med. 1975; 293: 547
- Splenectomy in renal transplantation.Surg Gynecol Obstet. 1974; 139: 33
- Splenic studies. I. Susceptibility to infection after splenectomy performed in infancy.Ann Surg. 1952; 136: 239
- Effect of splenectomy on human renal transplants.Transplantation. 1973; 15: 605
- The effect of splenectomy on the survival of first and second renal homotransplants in man.Surg Gynecol Obstet. 1968; 127: 1300
- Splenectomy and thymectomy in human renal transplantation.in: Proc Soc Exp Biol Med. 113. 1963: 929
- Prevention of hyperacute kidney rejection by early splenectomy with etiologic and therapeutic implications.in: Surg Forum. 23. 1972: 261
- Splenectomy in childhood: A review in Egland and Wales, 1960–1964.Br J Surg. 1976; 63: 36
☆Presented at the Thirty-fourth Annual Meeting of the Central Surgical Association, Buffalo, N. Y., March 3–5, 1977.
© 1977 Published by Elsevier Inc.