This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
In a series of 89 patients operated for primary hyperparathyroidism in the last 12 years, 27 (30%) had a history of radiation therapy to the head and neck for benign disease in infancy, childhood, adolescence or young adulthood: 13 male and 14 female patients. In six patients the total administered radiation dose was known to range between 300 and 750 rads (air). Thirteen patients had a single parathyroid adenoma and 14 had parathyroid hyperplasia or multiglandular disease. Thyroid carcinoma was associated with hyperparathyroidism in four patients, and six had benign thyroid tumors. No discernible thyroid abnormality was present in the other 17 patients. A history of radiation to the head and neck in a high proportion of patients with hyperparathyroidism, both in conjunction with thyroid tumors and in the absence of thyroid pathology, suggests that exposure of the parathyroids to radiation may play an etiologic role in the development of hyperparathyroidism in some patients with this disease.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Parathyroid diseases and irradiation.Strahlentherapie. 1972; 143: 48
- Carcinoma of the thyroid after external radiation to the neck in adults.Am J Surg. 1969; 118: 764
- Thyroid carcinoma in patients with hyperparathyroidism.Surgery. 1962; 51: 708
- Malignant neoplasms and parathyroid adenoma.Cancer. 1971; 28: 401
- The first 100 cases of parathyroid tumor from Charity Hospital of Louisiana.Ann Surg. 1971; 173: 872
- Thyroid neoplasms in the rat: A comparison of naturally occurring and I131 induced tumors.Cancer Res. 1957; 17: 183
- Radioiodine induced thyroid carcinomas in female rats.Arch Pathol. 1963; 75: 20
- Induction of neoplasms in the thyroid gland of the rat by x-irradiation of the gland.Cancer Res. 1961; 21: 9
- Parathyroid adenoma and nonmedullary thyroid carcinoma.Cancer. 1976; 38: 1391
- Klinisches und Experimentelles zur Frage der lokalisierten und generahsierten Osteitis Fibrosa.Arch Klin Chir. 1926; 143: 1
- Radiation-induced skin cancer of the head and neck.Cancer. 1970; 25: 61
- Occupational poisoning in manufacture of luminous watch dials.JAMA. 1929; 92: 466
- Radiation-induced head and neck tumors.Lancet. 1974; 1: 277
- Late effects of radiation: Carcinogenesis.Br Med Bull. 1974; 29: 78
- Primary hyperparathyroidism and papillary adenocarcinoma of the thyroid.in: ed. 2. Proc Staff Meet Mayo Clin. 31. 1956: 295
- Total thyroidectomy and parathyroid autotransplantation for radiation-associated thyroid cancer.Surgery. 1976; 80: 70
- Hyperparathyroidism.Grune & Stratton, Inc, New York1973
- The association of parathyroid adenoma and non-medullary carcinoma of the thyroid.Ann Surg. 1975; 181: 118
- A case of hyperparathyroidism associated with radiation to the head and neck area.Cancer. 1975; 36: 1111
- Radiation carcinogenesis.Cancer. 1975; 36: 941
- Surgery for parathyroid adenoma. 1972; 105: 67
- Parathyroid carcinoma in parabiont rats.Science. 1962; 135: 927
☆Supported in part by the John A. Hartford Foundation, Inc.
☆☆Presented at the Thirty-fourth Annual Meeting of the Central Surgical Association, Buffalo, N. Y., March 3–5 1977.
© 1977 Published by Elsevier Inc.