This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Allopurinol, Collins' solution, and spermidine were tested for their ability to preserve nuclear function during kidney storage. Spermidine increased nuclear ribonucleic acid (RNA) polymerase activity 25 to 43 percent after 60 minutes of warm ischemia. Collins' solution was less effective and allopurinol did not protect RNA polymerase activity. Spermidine offered little additional protection over Collins' during cold storage of RNA polymerase activity. Only spermidine prevented the decrease in the molecular weight of RNA transcribed following kidney storage. Only Collins' solution prevented the breakdown of rapidly labeled heterogenous high molecular weight RNA and ribosomal precursor RNA.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Kidney preservation for transportation: Initial perfusion and 30 hours in storage.Lancet. 1969; 2: 1219
- Polyamines stabilize DNA folds.Nature. 1975; 253: 62
- Ischemic effects on kidney nuclear RNA synthesis.Life Sciences [II]. 1970; 9: 721
- Isolation of cell nucleic from ischemic renal tissue: Biochemical characteristics of these nuclei.J. Surg. Res. 1972; 12: 394
- Alterations of high molecular weight nuclear RNA following kidney storage.Exp. Mol. Pathol. 1974; 21: 155
- Decreased molecular weight of RNA transcribed following kidney storage.Exp. Mol. Pathol. 1975; 22: 45
- Allopurinol protection of hepatic nuclear function during hemorrhagic shock.in: ed. 6. Surg. Forum. 25. 1974: 10
- Allopurinol and hypoxanthine pretreatment of canine kidney donors.Transplantation. 1974; 17: 424
- A convenient apparatus for vertical gel electrophoresis.Clin. Chem. 1962; 8: 455
- Postischemic effects on the nuclear RNA and cytoplasmic protein synthesis in rabbit kidney.Hoppe Seylers Z. Physiol. Chem. 1972; 353: 531
- Increased DNA associated with rat liver nucleoli when isolated with spermidine.Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 1974; 47: 212
- Canine kidney preservation using a new perfusate.Lancet. 1973; 1: 1024
- Effect of allopurinol on the preservation of ischemic kidneys perfused with plasma or plasma substitutes.Ann. Surg. 1974; 180: 780
Accepted: May 11, 1976
☆Supported by the Veterans Administration Basic Institutional Support, Project No. 5176-01 and United States Public Health Service Grant No. 16184-04.
© 1977 Published by Elsevier Inc.