This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Lymphocytes from melanoma patients more frequently inhibited the growth of human melanoma cells in the hamster cheek pouch than did lymphocytes from normal donors. Growth inhibition was accomplished with a much lower ratio of target cells to lymphocytes than in in vitro assays. The hamster cheek pouch assay can be used to study the relationship of blocking factors and humoral antibodies to cell-mediated immunity against human cancers.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Malignant immunoblastoma: Immunoglobulin synthesis and the progression to leukemia in heterotransplanted acute lymphoblastic leukemia, chronic lymphatic leukemia, lymphoma, and infectious mononucleosis.Cancer. 1973; 31: 1397
- Retention of human properties by a xenografted human tumor, GW-77, propagated in unconditioned hamsters.in: Proc. Soc. Exp. Biol. Med. 135. 1970: 657
- The use of viable frozen lymphocytes for studies in human tumor immunology.Transplantation. 1975; 19: 195
- Constancy of chromosome karyotype in human tumors, H. Ad. #1 and H. Ep. #3 maintained by laboratory animals.Cancer Res. 1964; 24: 639
- A colony inhibition (CI) technique for demonstration of tumor cell destruction by lymphoid cells in vitro.Int. J. Cancer. 1967; 2: 65
- Lymphocyte-mediated cytotoxicity and blocking serum activity to tumor antigens.Adv. Immunol. 1974; 18: 209
- Demonstration of resistance against methylcholanthrene-induced sarcomas in the primary autochthonous host.Cancer Res. 1960; 20: 1561
- Immunology of experimental tumors.Ann. Rev. Med. 1964; 15: 167
- The cellular immune response to carcinoma of the urinary bladder: Correlation to clinical stage and treatment.Br. J. Cancer. 1973; 28: 266
- Lymphocyte cytotoxicity: Technical aspects. Introduction.Transplant. Proc. 1972; 4: 295
- Growth characteristics of human melanoma xenografts in hamster cheek pouch.in: Proc. Am. Assoc. Cancer Res. 15. 1974: 138
- A hamster cheek pouch assay of human cell-mediated immunity to human melanoma xenografts escaping immunosurveillance by human lymphocytes.in: Proc. Am. Assoc. Cancer Res. 16. 1975: 146
- Tumor-specific inhibition of growth of methylcholanthrene-induced sarcomas in vivo and in vitro by sensitized isologous lymphoid cells.J. Nat. Cancer Inst. 1966; 36: 825
- Effect of leukocytes on transplantability of human cancer.Cancer. 1966; 19: 1743
- Reactivity of lymphocytes from normal persons on cultured tumor cells.Cancer Res. 1973; 33: 2898
- The immune response and the homograft reaction.J. Nat. Cancer Inst. 1960; 2: 113
Accepted: May 11, 1976
☆These investigations were supported by United States Public Health Service grants CA12582, CA05262, NIH 073200 CB43852, CA55442, Medical Research Service of the Veterans Administration and the California Institute for Cancer Research.
© 1977 Published by Elsevier Inc.