This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Preserving pancreatic islets for 7 days by a making use of the organ culture, we studied the insulin-releasing activity at the time of administration of glucose and various digestive tract hormones for the purpose of clarifying the function of preserved pancreatic islets. Furthermore, we transplanted pancreatic islets preserved for 3 to 5 days into the portal vein of rats with streptozotocin-induced diabetes and reached the following conclusions: (1). The islets of Langerhans of the pancreas responded well to glucose up to the seventh day of preservation and showed patterns similar to those of fresh pancreatic islets with respect to both the dose response and the time response. (2). Preserved pancreatic islets of the pancreas had insulin-releasing activity almost equal to that of fresh pancreatic islets against stimulation by glucagon, tolbutamide, and various digestive tract hormones. (3). Rats with streptozotocin-induced diabetes showed a marked improvement in blood glucose and urine glucose following transplantation of preserved pancreatic islets into the portal vein, and this effectiveness persisted for 6 to 8 weeks.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Transplantation of intact pancreatic islets in rats.Surgery. 1972; 72: 175
- Effect of transplantation site on the results of pancreatic islets isografts in diabetic rats.Diabetologia. 1973; 9: 486
- Total pancreatic allografts in pancreatectomized dogs.Arch Surg. 1965; 90: 521
- Transplantation of the endocrine pancreas in guinea pigs.Br J Surg. 1972; 59: 316
- Experimental pancreaticduodenal preservation and transplantation.Surg Gynecol Obstet. 1968; 126: 1002
- Method for the isolation of intact islets of Langerhans from the rat pancreas.Diabetes. 1967; 16: 35
- Pancreatic islet transplantation—effects on the glomerular lesions of experimental diabetes in the rat.Diabetes. 1974; 23: 748
- Isolation and culture of the islets of Langerhans of the guinea pig.Gen Comp Endocrinol. 1965; 5: 342
- Transplantation of isolated pancreatic islets across strong and weak histocompatibility barriers.Transplant Proc. 1973; 5: 761
- Physiological and immunological consequences of transplanting isolated pancreatic islets.Surgery. 1973; 74: 91
- Islet transplantation in diabetic rats receiving corticosteroids.Transplantation. 1975; 19: 449
- Plasma insulin and glucose levels in diabetic rats prior to and following islet transplantation.J Lab Clin Med. 1975; 85: 75
- Pancreatic transplantation in diabetic rats: Renal function, morphology, ultrastructure, and immunohistology.Surgery. 1975; 78: 142
Accepted: April 12, 1977
© 1978 Published by Elsevier Inc.