This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
A prospective, randomized clinical trial in 83 patients undergoing open urological operations was performed to compare the relative prophylactic efficacy of low-dose heparin and external pneumatic compression (EPC) of the calves in comparison to no treatment in the prevention of deep vein thrombosis (DVT). The diagnosis of deep vein thrombosis was established by the I125 fibrinogen scan and contrast phlebography. The data indicate that EPC is more effective than no treatment (p < 0.04) and more effective than low-dose heparin (p < 0.04) in the prevention of DVT. There was one pulmonary embolus in each of the three groups, and in the treatment groups this occurred without evidence of DVT.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The years' experience of geriatric aspects in surgery of patients with benign prostatic hyperplasia.Acta Chiurg Scand. 1966; 357 (suppl): 95
- Occurrence and course of thrombosis following prostatectomy: A phlebographic investigation.Acta Radiol Diagn (Stockh). 1970; 10: 513
- Thrombo-embolic problems in urologie surgery.Urol Clin North Am. 1976; 3: 393
- Physical methods of prophylaxis against deep vein thrombosis.in: Proceedings, National Heart and Lung Institute. Workshop on venous thrombosis, Reston, Va.1975
- Prevention of venous thromboembolism.in: Semin Thromb Hemost. 2. 1976: 232
- A controlled investigation of the value of anticoagulant therapy in cases of prostatectomy.Scand J Urol Nephrol. 1976; 10: 39
- The diagnosis of deep vein thrombosis using the I125 fibrinogen test.Arch Surg. 1972; 104: 152
- International multicentre trial. Prevention of fatal post-operative pulmonary embolism by low doses of heparin.Lancet. 1975; 2: 45
- Efficacy of low doses of heparin in prevention of deep vein thrombosis after major surgery.Lancet. 1972; 2: 101
- Small doses of subcutaneous sodium heparin in preventing deep venous thrombosis after major surgery.Lancet. 1972; 2: 890
- Roentgen diagnosis of venous thrombosis in the leg.Arch Surg. 1972; 104: 134
- Prophylaxis of post-operative leg vein thrombosis by low dose subcutaneous heparin or peroperative calf muscle stimulation: A controlled clinical trail.Br Med J. 1975; 1: 649
Skillman, J. J., Collins, R. E. C., Coe, N. P., et al.: Prevention of deep vein thrombosis in neurosurgical patients: A controlled, randomized trial of external pneumatic compression boots. Surgery (in press)
- Suprapubic prostatectomy with perioperative Dicumarol and epsilon-amino caproic acid prophylaxis.Scan J Urol Nephrol. 1967; 1: 1
- Prevention of venous thrombosis in patients by intermittent calf compression.in: Fifth Congress of the International Society of Thrombosis and Hemostasis, Paris1975: 348
- The I125 fibrinogen technique in the diagnosis of venous thrombosis.Clin Haemotol. 1973; 2: 199
- Prevention of post-operative deep vein thrombosis with peri-operative subcutaneous heparin.Lancet. 1971; 2: 950
Accepted: June 9, 1977
© 1978 Published by Elsevier Inc.