This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
The occurrence, in one patient, of a life-threatening pulmonary embolus 3 days following insertion of a Mobin-Uddin umbrella filter promoted a review of our experience with this device. Over the past 5 years, 41 patients had umbrella filters inserted at the Beth Israel Hospital. Five patients (12%) had proven or probable pulmonary embolization following filter placement. In four of the seven autopsied patients, thrombus was found on the cardiac side of the umbrella, and in one of these patients a fresh embolus was also found in the pulmonary artery. We conclude that the standard (nonheparin-impregnated) Mobin-Uddin umbrella device offers incomplete protection against pulmonary embolization in patients who cannot concurrently receive anticoagulant drugs.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Statistical study of postoperative venous thrombosis and pulmonary embolism. Incidence of various types of operation.in: ed 3. Proc Staff Meet Mayo Clin. 15. 1940: 769
- The place of venous interruption in the treatment of pulmonary thromboembolism.in: Moser KM Stein M Pulmonary thromboembolism. Year Book Medical Publishers, Inc, Chicago1973: 312-323
- The Mobin-Uddin caval filter for prevention of pulmonary emboli.Am J Surg. 1974; 128: 809-812
- Assessment of anticoagulant treatment of venous thromboembolism.Ann Surg. 1969; 170: 559
- Comparison of surgical managements for pulmonary emboli.Ann Surg. 1974; 179: 836-841
- Clinical experience with vena caval filters.Arch Surg. 1973; 106: 582-587
- Clinical experience with the Kim-Ray-Greenfield vena caval filter.Ann Surg. 1977; 185: 692-698
- Evaluation of the Mobin-Uddin umbrella in the prevention of pulmonary thromboembolism.Am J Surg. 1976; 132: 204-208
- Caval interruption for prevention of pulmonary embolism.Arch Surg. 1969; 99: 711-715
- Present status of the inferior vena cava umbrella filter.Surgery. 1971; 70: 914-919
- Transvenous caval interruption with umbrella filter.N Engl J Med. 1972; 286: 55-58
- The inferior vena cava umbrella filter.Prog Cardiovasc Dis. 1975; 17: 391-399
- Overdiagnosis and overtreatment of pulmonary embolism: The emperor may have no clothes.Ann Intern Med. 1977; 87: 775-781
- Comparison of caval filters in the management of venous thromboembolism.Arch Surg. 1978; 113: 1264-1271
Accepted: May 1, 1979
© 1980 Published by Elsevier Inc.