This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
This is a case report of management of a delayed mycotic superior mesenteric artery aneurysm occurring in a patient 2 years after aortic valve replacement for endocarditis. A chronic ulcer history, anticoagulation therapy, episodic gastrointestinal bleeding associated with negative gastrointestinal series, and gastritis seen at endoscopy delayed the ultimate diagnosis. An episode of massive hemorrhage precipitated angiography with subsequent surgical confirmation of the diagnosis. Management included debridement and extirpation of the major part of the aneurysm, Doppler assessment of the inadequacy of collateral mesenteric arterial blood flow, and restoration of flow with a bypassing saphenous vein graft segment. Although this technique of reconstruction has been suggested, we can find no other report of such a similar case among the few reported surgical successes with superior mesenteric artery mycotic aneurysm.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The diagnosis and management of visceral artery aneurysms.Surgery. 1980; 88: 619-624
- Successful resection of mycotic aneurysm of superior mesenteric artery: Case report and review of literature.Am Surg. 1953; 19: 202-212
- Inferior mesenteric artery aneurysm: Case report and discussion.Surgery. 1979; 85: 385-387
- Aneurysms of the splanchnic arteries.Am J Surg. 1980; 140: 797-801
- Saccular atherosclerotic aneurysm of the superior mesenteric artery.Arch Surg. 1977; 112: 854
- Assessment of colonic ischemia during aortic surgery by Doppler ultrasound.J Surg Res. 1976; 20: 231-235
- Mycotic aneurysm of the inferior mesenteric artery.Am J Surg. 1979; 138: 443-445
- Massive bleeding from a ruptured superior mesenteric artery aneurysm into duodenum.Arch Surg. 1976; 111: 286-288
- Superior mesenteric artery branch aneurysms.Surgery. 1980; 88: 625-630
- WB Saunders Co, Philadelphia1977 Radiology of the liver.
- Endoaneurysmorrhaphy for visceral artery aneurysms.Am J Surg. 1977; 133: 636-639
- Aneurysms of the branches of the abdominal aorta: Diagnosis, management, and results.Surgery. 1967; 61: 509-515
- Splanchnic artery aneurysms.in: Rutherford RB Vascular surgery. WB Saunders Co, Philadelphia1977: 673-685
- Splanchnic artery aneurysms.Arch Surg. 1970; 101: 689-697
- Ruptured atherosclerotic aneurysm of the superior mesenteric artery with celiac axis occlusion.Ann Surg. 1971; 174: 207-210
- Prediction of intestinal viability using Doppler ultrasound techniques.Am J Surg. 1975; 129: 642-645
Accepted: February 10, 1982
© 1982 Published by Elsevier Inc.