This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
In a 17-year period 1848 patients with hyperthyroidism were operated on. Fourteen (0.76%) had a coexisting thyroid malignancy. Preoperative scintiscan and pathologic diagnoses were compared: 10 malignancies were in cold nodules, two were unidentifiable preoperatively due to small size, and two were in hot areas. Five patients had papillary cancer, four follicular, three anaplastic, and two medullary. Patients with uninodular toxic goiter had a low rate of associated malignancy (0.27%, 3/1108). In contrast, patients with multinodular toxic goiter had an incidence of 1.63% (11/676). No patient with Graves' disease (n = 64) had a carcinoma. Extensive use of fine-needle aspiration biopsy enabled preoperative diagnosis in a majority of the cases (9/14, 64%). We conclude that the incidence of coexisting thyroid malignancy and hyperthyroidism is rare in our endemic iodine-deficiency goiter area.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Adenocarcinoma of the thyroid with hyperthyroidism and functional metastasis. Studies with thiouracil and radioiodine.J Clin Endocrinol. 1948; 6: 247-252
- The association of carcinoma of the thyroid gland and exophthalmic goiter.Surg Clin North Am. 1948; 28: 935-952
- Carcinoma of the thyroid occurring in a diffuse toxic goiter.Am J Surg. 1961; 101: 245-247
- Metastatic thyroid carcinoma with hyperthyroidism: two cases with functioning metastatic follicular thyroid carcinoma.in: 2nd ed. Mayo Clin Proc. 45. 1970: 328-335
- Gemeinsames Vorkommen von Hyperthyreose und Schilddrüsencarcinom.Chirurg. 1978; 49: 699-703
- Nodular goiter and malignant lesions of the thyroid gland.J Clin Endocrin. 1951; 11: 1157-1165
- Incidence of malignancy in toxic and nontoxic nodular goiter.JAMA. 1954; 154: 1321-1325
- Incidence of cancer in thyroid nodules.Surg Gynecol Obstet. 1966; 123: 1024-1028
- Incidence of thyroid carcinoma in Graves' disease.Cancer. 1970; 26: 1261-1270
- Les cancers thyroidiens masqués par une hyperthyroidie.J Chir (Paris). 1976; 111: 271-276
- Malignant cold thyroid nodules in hyperthyroidism.Br J Surg. 1976; 63: 726
- Thyroid carcinoma and concurrent hyperthyroidism.Cancer. 1977; 39: 298-302
- Coexistence of hyperthyroidism and thyroid cancer.World J Surg. 1982; 6: 385-390
- Thyroid carcinoma in Graves' disease.Surgery. 1985; 98: 1148-1152
- Graves' disease and thyroid cancer.Surgery. 1986; 100: 1121-1126
- Thin needle aspiration biopsy and cytological examination of hypofunctional, “cold” thyroid nodules in routine clinical work.Clin Nucl Med. 1977; 2: 413-424
- Manual of surgical pathology gross room procedures. University of Minnesota Press, Minneapolis1981: 13-21 2nd ed.
- Die endemische Struma vor und nach der Kropfprpphylaxe.Dtsch Med Wochenschr. 1980; 105: 296-302
- Der Gestaltwandel der Struma maligna mit Bezug auf die Jodprophylaxe des Kropfes.Schweiz Med Wochenschr. 1963; 93: 809-815
- Hyperthyroidism in Tasmania following iodine supplementation. Measurements of thyroid stimulating autoantibodies and thyrotropin.J Clin Endocrinol. 1975; 41: 221-225
- Das Hyperthyreoserisiko nach Erhöhung der Jodzufuhr.Dtsch Med Wochenschr. 1984; 109: 1081-1082
- Hyperthyreose bei maligner Struma.Nuklearmedizin. 1984; 23: 293-300
- Anaplastic thyroid cancer presenting with hyperthyroidism.Am J Surg. 1983; 75: 702-704
- Malignant disease of the thyroid gland.Lancet. 1949; 2: 979-982
- False-negative errors in fine-needle aspiration biopsy of dominant thyroid nodules: a prospective follow-up study.World J Surg. 1986; 10: 623-630
- Selection of surgical treatment for well-differentiated thyroid carcinomas.Ann Surg. 1972; 176: 565-578
Accepted: December 7, 1988
© 1989 Published by Elsevier Inc.