This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Renal artery injury is an uncommon consequence of blunt abdominal trauma and probably is often missed. We recently saw three patients with rupture of the left hemidiaphragm associated with renal artery injury. The finding of a perinephric hematoma in a multiply injured patient with an ipsilateral diaphragmatic rupture prompted evaluation of the renal artery. With massive injury, the kidney may be displaced superiorly when the diaphragm ruptures, producing injury to the ipsilateral renal artery. This association has not been emphasized in the literature. The finding of a perinephric hematoma on the left should prompt full evaluation of the renal arteries if seen in association with diaphragmatic rupture.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Traumatic diaphragmatic hernia.in: 6th ed. Surgery annual. 15. 1983: 73-97
- Traumatic diaphragmatic hernia; a continuing challenge.Ann Thorac Surg. 1985; 39: 170-173
- Traumatic injuries of the diaphragm.Chest. 1979; 75: 306-313
- Traumatic diaphragmatic rupture.Ann Thorac Surg. 1971; 12: 311-324
- Blunt injuries of the diaphragm.Br J Surg. 1988; 75: 226-230
- Acute rupture of the diaphragm in blunt trauma: analysis of 60 patients.J Trauma. 1986; 26: 438-444
- Diaphragmatic distribution secondary to blunt abdominal trauma.J Trauma. 1981; 21: 35-38
- Vascular Surgery in urology.in: 6th ed. Proc R Soc Med. 64. 1971: 589-594
- Computerized tomographic staging of renal trauma: 85 consecutive cases.J Urol. 1986; 136: 561-565
- The computerized tomography appearance of renal pedicle injury.J Urol. 1984; 132: 1163-1164
- Renal artery injuries caused by blunt trauma.Surgery. 1981; 90: 87-96
- Acute renal artery occlusion: when is revascularization justified?.J Vasc Surg. 1987; 5: 348-355
- Revascularization of traumatic thrombosis of the renal artery.Surg Gynecol Obstet. 1987; 164: 22-26
- Traumatic renal artery occlusion: 21 cases.J Urol. 1976; 115: 229-233
- Mortality and renal salvage after renovascular trauma. A review of 94 patients treated in a 20-year period.Am J Surg. 1983; 146: 848-851
- Proper management of renal artery injury from blunt trauma.South Med J. 1985; 78: 406-410
- Gastric rupture from blunt abdominal trauma.J Trauma. 1987; 27: 887-891
- “Spontaneous” and traumatic rupture of the diaphragm.Ann Surg. 1973; 177: 320-324
Accepted: January 10, 1989
© 1989 Published by Elsevier Inc.