This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Oxygen microelectrodes were used to measure tumor partial pressure of oxygen (Po2) before and after photodynamic therapy (PDT) in a rat transplantable subcutaneous chondrosarcoma. Before PDT there was a gradient of Po2 from the superficial layers of the tumor (Po2 = 46 ± 6 mm Hg) toward the center of the tumor (Po2 = 10 ± 1 mm Hg). Mean tumor Po2 (21 ± 2 mm Hg) was significantly reduced to 3 ± 1 mm Hg 1 hour after PDT, and this reduction in Po2 persisted 4 hours (8 ± 2 mm Hg) and 24 hours (6 ± 1 mm Hg) after PDT. The largest percentage decrease in Po2 occurred at a depth of only 50 μm into the tumor. Inasmuch as PDT has been shown to decrease blood flow, our data suggest that PDT actions on blood vessels in the peripheral areas of the tumor are of major importance for eliciting the tumor hypoxia that contributes to tumor necrosis after PDT.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Photosensitizers: Therapy and detection of malignant tumors.Photochem Photobiol. 1987; 45: 879-889
- Photoradiation therapy. II. Cure of animal tumors with hematoporphyrin and light.J Natl Cancer Inst. 1975; 55: 115-119
- Determination of [3H]-and [14C] hematoporphyrin derivative distribution in malignant and normal tissue.Cancer Res. 1979; 39: 146-151
- Autoradiographic distribution of hematoporphyrin derivative in normal and tumor tissue of the mouse.Cancer Res. 1981; 41: 4606-4612
- Oxygen dependence of the photosensitizing effect of hematoporphyrin derivative in NH1K 3025 cells.Cancer Res. 1985; 45: 1608-1610
- Acute skin response in albino mice following porphyrin photosensitization of oxic and anoxic conditions.Photochem Photobiol. 1984; 40: 435-439
- Oxygen dependency of photocytotoxicity with haematoporphyrin derivative.Photochem Photobiol. 1984; 39: 631-634
- Destruction of rat mammary tumor and normal tissue microcirculation by hematoporphyrin derivative photoradiation observed in vivo in sandwich observation chambers.Cancer Res. 1986; 46: 2532-2540
- Relationship of tumor hypoxia and response to photodynamic treatment in an experimental mouse tumor.Cancer Res. 1987; 47: 3110-3114
- Mechanisms of photo-oxygenation.in: Doiron DR Gomer CJ Porphyrin localization and treatment of tumors. Alan R. Liss, New York1984: 3-18
- Identification of singlet oxygen as the cytotoxic agent in photoinactivation of a murine tumor.Cancer Res. 1976; 36: 2326-2329
- Photodynamic therapy with porphyrin and phothalocyanine sensitization: quantitative studies in normal rat liver.Br J Cancer. 1987; 54: 43-52
- Microcirculation modifications by localized microwave hyperthermia and hematoporphyrin phototherapy.Biblthca Anat. 1981; 20: 628-632
- Heterogeneous oxygen partial pressure and pH distribution in C3H mouse mammary adenocardinoma.Cancer Res. 1981; 41: 2008-2013
- Hypxoia in neoplastic tissues.Microvasc Res. 1977; 13: 399-408
- Effect of photodynamic therapy on blood flow in normal and tumor vessels.Surgery. 1988; 104: 512-517
- A microelectrode for measuring intracellular Po2.J Appl Physiol. 1967; 23: 798-801
- Oxygen electrode design criteria and performance characteristics: recessed cathode.J Appl Physiol. 1978; 45: 145-154
- Performance evaluation of recessed microcathodes: criteria for tissue Po2 measurement.Am J Physiol. 1985; 58: 1400-1405
- The structure of the active component of hematoporphyrin derivative.in: Doiron DR Gomer CJ Porphyrin localization and treatment of tumors. Alan R. Liss, New York1984: 301-314
- Proposed structure of the tumor localizing fraction of HPD (hematoporphyrin derivative).Photochem Photobiol. 1986; 44: 193-196
- The effect of photodynamic therapy on the microcirculation.J Surg Res. 1988; 45: 452-459
- Microcirculatory effects of photoactivation of dihematoporphyrin ether.in: Tsuchiya M Asano M Ishima YM Oda M Microcirculation, an update. Excerpta Medica Elsevier Science Publishing, Amsterdam1987: 825-826
- Blood flow in transplantable bladder tumors treated with hematoporphyrin derivative and light.Cancer Res. 1984; 44: 1924-1927
- Dose-effect relations in a mouse mammary tumor.in: Doiron DR Gomer CJ Porphyrin localization and treatment of tumors. Alan R. Liss, New York1984: 583-590
- Changes in tissue oxygenation and acidity induced by localized microwave hyperthermia and hematoporphyrin phototherapy, an update.Adv Exp Med Biol. 1983; 159: 623-630
- Po2 distribution in tumor tissue of DS-carcinosarcoma.Oncology. 1974; 30: 475-484
- Rat cremaster tissue Po2 is minimally affected by changes in bath Po2.in: Fed Proc. 2-1. 1988: 857A (M7)
Accepted: December 1, 1988
☆Supported in part by the Center for Applied Microcirculatory Research.
© 1989 Published by Elsevier Inc.