This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Simulation of the needle puncture and volume estimation for the tumors in the liver were carried out with the three-dimensional image reconstruction system, which consists of a medical image acquisition system, a data processing system, and a graphic display. A set of sliced-image data from a computerized tomography and/or a magnetic resonance imaging was used to reconstruct the liver, the vessels, and the tumors of the patients with liver cancer. A good agreement of anatomic locations of both the intrahepatic vessels and the tumors between the reconstructed liver model and the echography done intraoperatively was observed. Surgical simulations with these graphic models clearly indicated safety areas for needle puncture in the laser coagulation therapy. In addition liver volumes were calculated within 3% of error in comparison to the measured values. These results indicate that the computer-aided surgery system is a highly promising method that avoids cumbersone stereoscopic recognition of the anatomical location of the diseased area and the vessels, before and after surgery.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Acute hepatitis.in: Suzuki H Hepatitis. Nankodo Co. Ltd, Tokyo1989: 1-8
- Primary liver cancer in Japan: sixth report.Cancer. 1987; 60: 1400-1411
- Computed tomography in the evaluation of hepatocellular carcinoma.AJR. 1980; 134: 431-437
- Computed tomography in the evaluation of hepatocellular carcinoma.Radiology. 1979; 131: 165-170
- Magnetic resonance imaging of cavernous hemangioma of the liver: tissue-specific characterization.AJR. 1985; 145: 213-222
- Hepatic cavernous hemangioma: magnetic resonance imaging.Radiology. 1985; 155: 417-420
- Hepatic tumors: differentiation by transverse relaxation time (T2) of magnetic resonance imaging.Radiology. 1985; 155: 421-423
- Ultrasonography of small hepatic tumors using high resolution linear-array real-time instruments.Radiology. 1984; 150: 797-802
- Computer aided surgery system (CAS): development of surgical simulation and planning system with three dimensional graphic reconstruction.in: Proceedings of the 1st Conference on visualization in biomedical computing. 2nd ed. IEEE. Computer Society, Atlanta, GaMay 1990: 458-462
- Fundamental study on computer aided three dimensional graphic representation for surgical operation.in: 2nd ed. Thesis. The University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan1988
- Study on the integration and processing of the medical images in the computer aided surgery system.in: 2nd ed. Thesis. The University of Tokyo, 1989
- Conversion of complex contour line definitions into polygonal element mosaics.Comput Graphics. 1978; 12: 187-192
- Study on the blood vessel modeling in the computer aided surgery system.in: 2nd ed. Thesis. The University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan1989
- Ultrasonographically guided laser and spheric laser.in: Riemann JF Ell C Lasers in gastroenterology. International experiences and trends. Thieme Medical Publishers, Inc, New York1989: 134-138
- New laser puncture therapy for liver cancers.in: Oguro Y Nd-YAG laser in medicine and surgery. 2nd ed. Fundamental clinical aspects. Professional Postgraduate Service, Tokyo1986: 128-131
- Ultrasonographic diagnosis for small hepatocellular carcinoma.J Med Imaging. 1988; 8: 1274-1282
- Diagnosis modality for early liver cancer. 1. Ultrasonography.in: Hattori N Virus hepatitis to liver cancer. Gan to Kagaku-Ryouhousha, Tokyo1982: 349-369
- Dynamic sequential computed tomography during arterial portography in the detection of hepatic neoplasms.Radiology. 1983; 146: 721-727
- Hepatic tumors.in: US contrast enhancement with CO2 microbubbles. 2nd ed. Radiology. 161. 1986: 701-705
- Segmental staining on hepatic arteriography as a sign of intrahepatic portal vein obstruction.Radiology. 1984; 152: 601-606
- New therapeutic modality for liver carcinoma: Clinical evaluation of arterial administration of high molecular-weight anticancer agent SMANCS with lipid lymphographic agent on hepatoma.Cancer and Chemotherapy. 1982; 9: 2005-2015
- Effect of arterial administration of high molecular-weight anticancer agent SMANCS with lipid lymphographic agent on hepatoma: A preliminary report.Eur J Cancer Clin Oncol. 1983; 19: 1053-1065
- Selective targeting of anticancer drug and simultaneous image enhancement in solid tumor by arterially administered lipid contrast medium.Cancer. 1984; 54: 2367-2374
- Improvements in performance time for simutaneous three-dimensional NMR imaging.J Magn Reson. 1983; 54: 374-384
- Hepatocellular carcinoma and cavernous hemangioma: differentiation with MR imaging.Radiology. 1988; 168: 621-623
Accepted: July 23, 1990
© 1991 Published by Elsevier Inc.