This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Background. The surgical treatment of benign tumors of the pancreas usually consists of enucleation or formal pancreatectomy. Nonetheless, enucleation is not always feasible, and extended pancreatectomies may result in impaired endocrine and exocrine function.
Methods. For these reasons we proposed a limited resection centered on the neck of the pancreas with complete excision of the tumor. The cephalic section was sutured, and a Roux-en-Y jejunal loop was anastomosed to the distal section of the pancreas. Fourteen patients were operated on by this technique. The tumors were mainly cystadenomas (n = 6) and endocrine tumors (n = 4). The other lesions were one epithelial cyst, one necrotic pseudocyst, one Castleman disease, and one cystadenocarcinoma diagnosed after surgery on histologic examination.
Results. No patients died. Two patients underwent reoperation: one for a postoperative acute pancreatitis and one for a pancreatic fistula. All patients were followed up from 4 months to 8 years. No patients had exocrine insufficiency or diabetes mellitus.
Conclusions. Medial pancreatectomy does not carry a higher operative risk than formal pancreatectomy and avoids extensive pancreatic resection when enucleation is not feasible.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Pancréatite chronique calcifiante chez un tuberculeux rénal: pancréato-jéjunostomie selon une technique originale.Mem Acad Chirurg. 1957; 83: 869-871
- Traumatic severance of pancreas treated by Roux-en-Y anastomosis.Surg Gynecol Obstet. 1959; 109: 473-478
- Duodenum-preserving resection of the head of the pancreas in patients with severe chronic pancreatitis.Surgery. 1985; 97: 467-474
- Limited conservative pancreatectomy for benign tumors of the pancreas.Br J Surg. 1988; 75: 719
- Improved morbidity, mortality and survival after the Whipple procedure.Ann Surg. 1987; 206: 358-365
- An analysis of the reduced morbidity and mortality after pancreatoduodenectomy.Arch Surg. 1989; 124: 778-781
- Survival after pancreatoduodenectomy: 118 consecutive resections without an operative mortality.Ann Surg. 1990; 211: 447-458
- Decreased morbidity and mortality after pancreatoduodenectomy.Am J Surg. 1986; 151: 141-149
- Pancreatoduodenectomy for periampullary cancer.Surg Clin North Am. 1967; 47: 639-645
- Chronic pancreatitis: results of Whipple's resection and total pancreatectomy.Arch Surg. 1988; 123: 815-819
- Pancreatectomy for chronic pancreatitis.Ann Surg. 1976; 184: 403-414
- Duodenum-preserving resection of the head of the pancreas in severe chronic pancreatitis: early and late results.Ann Surg. 1989; 209: 273-278
- Insulin secretion after pancreaoduodenectomy.Ann Surg. 1974; 179: 494-498
- Chronic pancreatitis: long-term surgical results of pancreatic duct drainage, pancreatic resection, and near-total pancreatectomy and islet transplantation.Surgery. 1984; 96: 608-615
- Resection in chronic pancreatitis.Br J Surg. 1987; 74: 807-812
- Effects of hemipancreatectomy on insulin secretion and glucose tolerance in healthy humans.N Engl J Med. 1990; 322: 898-903
- Pancreatoduodenectomy in the management of chronic pancreatitis.Arch Surg. 1987; 1222: 416-420
- Postprandial plasma gastrin and secretin concentrations after pancreatoduodenectomy: a comparison between a pylorus-preserving pancreatoduodenectomy and the Whipple procedure.Ann Surg. 1989; 210: 47-51
- Anastomotic ulceration following subtotal and total pancreatectomy.Ann Surg. 1979; 190: 1-5
- Pylorus preserving pancreatoduodenectomy: an overview.Br J Surg. 1990; 77: 968-974
- Splenic artery aneurysms.World J Surg. 1985; 9: 378-383
- Splenic conservation and the management of splenic artery aneurysm.in: 1st ed. Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 67. 1987: 179-180
- Pancreaticogastrostomy in pancreatoduodenal resection for ampullary carcinoma: experience in thirty-one cases.Surgery. 1986; 100: 489-493
- Pancreaticogastrostomy following pancreatoduodenectomy.Ann Surg. 1988; 207: 253-256
- Pancreatogastrostomy: a safe drainage procedure after pancreatoduodenectomy.Surgery. 1990; 108: 641-647
Accepted: February 1, 1992
© 1993 Published by Elsevier Inc.