This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Background. Aneurysmal degeneration of a carotid reconstruction was not recognized until the patient, who was known to have recurrent carotid artery stenosis, had a thromboembolic stroke. This sequelae of carotid endarterectomy is a serious complication, associated with a high morbidity and mortality rate. This review was conducted to establish the risk of transient ischemic attack and stroke for patients found to have recurrent carotid stenosis associated with aneurysmal. degeneration of the carotid artery after endarterectomy.
Methods. A case is reported, and 100 literature references of aneurysmal degeneration of the carotid artery after endarterectomy were reviewed.
Results. False aneurysm from anastomotic disruption was the most common presentation identified in the cases reviewed. Nineteen of the patients had a significant neurologic event; however, three (50%) of six patients with aneurysm and recurrent carotid artery stenosis had a transient ischemic attack or stroke.
Conclusions. The incidence of neurologic symptoms is markedly increased when recurrent carotid artery stenosis is associated with carotid aneurysm. During postoperative surveillance after endarterectomy, the identification of recurrent carotid artery stenosis requires evaluation for aneurysmal degeneration of the carotid artery with duplex scanning. These patients are at significant risk for transient ischemic attack and stroke. This rare complication merits operative repair.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- False aneurysm after carotid endarterectomy.Arch Surg. 1972; 104: 288-291
- Aneurysms of the extracranial carotid artery: twenty-one years' experience.Am J Surg. 1979; 137: 196-200
- Extracranial carotid artery aneurysms.Surgery. 1983; 93: 319-323
- Recurrent carotid stenosis: results and complications of 57 operations.Ann Surg. 1986; 203: 205-213
- A prospective study of vein patch angioplasty during carotid endarterectomy: three-year results for 801 patients and 917 operations.Ann Surg. 1987; 206: 628-635
- Late patency of the carotid artery after endarterectomy: problems of definition, follow-up methodology, and data analysis.J Vasc Surg. 1988; 8: 79-85
- Selective management of extracranial carotid arterial aneurysms.Am J Surg. 1980; 140: 85-91
- Benefits of carotid patching: a randomized study.J Vasc Surg. 1988; 7: 240-247
- Recurrent versus residual carotid stenosis: incidence detected by Doppler ultrasound.Ann Surg. 1986; 203: 652-660
- Clinical and technical factors influencing recurrent carotid stenosis and occlusion after endarterectomy.J Vasc Surg. 1987; 5: 702-706
- Recurrent carotid stenosis after autologous tissue patching.J Vasc Surg. 1987; 6: 350-354
- Comparison of saphenous vein patch, polytetrafluoroethylene patch, and direct arteriotomy closure after carotid endarterectomy. Part I. Perioperative results.J Vasc Surg. 1989; 9: 521-529
- Venous patch grafts and carotid endarterectomy.Arch Surg. 1987; 122: 1134-1138
- Accuracy of duplex scanning in the detection of stenosis after carotid endarterectomy.J Vasc Surg. 1988; 8: 696-702
- Turbulence occurring after carotid bifurcation endarterectomy: a harbinger of residual and recurrent carotid stenosis.J Vasc Surg. 1988; 7: 261-274
- Recurrent carotid stenosis.Surgery. 1976; 80: 705-710
- Early restenosis after carotid endarterectomy.Arch Surg. 1978; 113: 275-278
- Carotid endarterectomy: relationship of outcome to early restenosis.J Vasc Surg. 1985; 2: 375-380
- Recurrent carotid stenosis.in: Bernhard VM Towne JB Complications in vascular surgery. 2nd ed. Grune & Stratton, Orlando1985: 763-773
- Consequences of hemodynamic alterations on the vessel wall after revascularization.in: Bernhard VM Towne JB Complications in vascular surgery. Grune & Stratton, New York1980: 107-131
- Pseudoaneurysms of the carotid artery.Am Surg. 1973; 39: 257-260
- Complications of carotid endarterectomy and their prevention.World J Surg. 1979; 3: 155-165
- Infected false aneurysm following carotid endarterectomy with vein patch angioplasty.J Cardiovasc Surg. 1987; 28: 734-736
- Aneurysms of extracranial carotid arteries.Arch Surg. 1976; 111: 339-343
- Unusual aneurysms of the extracranial carotid artery.J Cardiovasc Surg. 1983; 24: 69-73
- A combined angiographic surgical approach for repair of carotid false aneurysm (Letter).J Vasc Surg. 1987; 6: 320-321
- Patch graft angioplasty in vascular surgery.J Cardiovasc Surg. 1962; 3: 106-140
- Aneurysms of the carotid arteries.Aust N Z J Surg. 1983; 53: 521-525
- Persistent cerebrovascular symptoms following carotid endarterectomy.in: Bernhard VM Towne JB Complications in vascular surgery. Grune & Stratton, New York1980: 275-294
- Wound complications following carotid endarterectomy: report of two cases.Vasc Surg. 1967; 1: 127-135
- Bilateral false aneurysms after carotid endarterectomy.Neuroradiology. 1979; 18: 215-216
- Extracranial carotid aneurysm: a complication of carotid endarterectomy.Ill Med J. 1976; 150: 583-586
- False aneurysm after carotid endarterectomy [Letter].JAMA. 1969; 209: 1529
- The clinical evaluation and surgery of internal carotid insufficiency.Surg Clin North Am. 1967; 47: 71-89
- Carotid endarterectomy for cerebrovascular insufficiency (stroke): follow-up of 359 cases.Ann Surg. 1966; 163: 751-763
- Long term results of carotid bifurcation endarterectomy.Surg Gynecol Obstet. 1966; 122: 517-523
- The surgical consideration of 258 patients with carotid artery occlusion.Surg Gynecol Obstet. 1960; 110: 327-338
- Surgical approach to carotid arterial insufficiency.Ann Thorac Surg. 1966; 2: 640-648
- Management of extracranial carotid artery aneurysms.Conn Med. 1986; 50: 501-502
- Pseudoaneurysm after carotid endarterectomy.J Cardiovasc Surg. 1986; 27: 294-297
- Post-operative false aneurysms of the carotid artery.Am Surg. 1970; 36: 335-341
- Aneurysm of the internal carotid artery following endarterectomy for carotid stenosis.Med J Aust. 1969; 2: 803-804
- False aneurysms of the carotid artery.in: Bergan J Yao JST Reoperative arterial surgery. Grune & Stratton, New York1986: 537-553
Accepted: April 24, 1992
© 1993 Published by Elsevier Inc.