This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
A girl underwent partial resection of the liver for mesenchymal hamartoma twice, at 7 months and again at 3 years of age. When the patient was 16 years of age, the mass increased rapidly in size. The patient was hospitalized and studied by ultrasonography, computed tomographic scans, and arterial angiography. The tumor occupied the right and left lobes of the liver, but the hypertrophic caudate lobe in which no tumor was found could provide satisfactory liver function, so the tumor was extirpated by bilateral lobectomy, with preservation of the caudate lobe. Histologic examination of the operative specimen led to the diagnosis of typical mesenchymal hamartoma of the liver. Malignancy was not found. About 30 cases of this disorder have been reported in Japan, and about 100 cases have appeared in the literature in English. To the best of our knowledge, no earlier reports of bilateral lobectomy have been made.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Mesenchymal hamartoma of the liver: a clinical and pathologic study of nine cases.Am J Pediatr Hematol Oncol. 1986; 8: 91-98
- Differential diagnosis of tumors and tumor-like lesions of liver in infancy and childhood.Am J Dis Child. 1956; 91: 168-186
- A case of surgical treatment for a recurrent hepatic mesenchymal hamartoma.Jpn J Pediatr Surg. 1988; 20: 1509-1514
- Mesenchymal hamartoma of the liver responsive to cyclophosphamide therapy: therapeutic approach.J Pediatr Surg. 1985; 20: 125-128
- Mesenchymal hamartoma of the liver.South Med J. 1978; 71: 530-532
- Mesenchymal hamartoma of the liver in infants.Cancer. 1978; 42: 2483-2489
- Mesenchymal hamartoma of the liver.Gastroenterology. 1979; 76: 1466-1469
- Cystic hamartoma of the liver.Int Surg. 1979; 64: 21-25
- Mesenchymal hamartoma of the liver: case report.Acta Chir Italica. 1981; 37: 473-475
- Mesenchymal hamartoma of the liver of an infant: case report.Z Kinderchir. 1988; 43: 422-423
- Pediatric hepatic surgery.Surg Clin North Am. 1989; 69: 251-257
- Benign tumors of the liver in children: analysis of a series of 20 cases.J Pediatr Surg. 1986; 21: 419-423
- Hepatic mesenchymal hamartoma of an infant.J Pediatr Surg. 1984; 19: 315-317
- Mesenchymal hamartoma of the liver.J Pediatr Surg. 1983; 18: 585-587
- Ultrasonography in primary hepatic tumors in early childhood.Pediatr Radiol. 1980; 9: 77-83
Accepted: October 31, 1991
© 1993 Published by Elsevier Inc.