This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Background. Parathyroid carcinoma is often over-diagnosed based on histologic appearance alone. We limited the definition of the disease to patients with recurrence, metastases, or frank capsular invasion on histologic examination.
Methods. With these criteria, fourteen cases of parathyroid carcinoma seen at our institution from 1955 to the present were identified.
Results. All patients presented with hypercalcemia, and all deaths were due to hypercalcemia. Two patients have been free of disease after initial operation for 31 and 180 months. Six other patients had a prolonged course with a median survival more than 80 months. Two of these patients have undergone one reexcision each for local recurrence, and four have undergone multiple resections for local recurrence or metastases. These reoperations usually resulted in satisfactory, albeit temporary, control of hypercalcemia. Finally, six patients died of disease after an aggressive course, with a short median survival (47 months). Four of these patients were seen in the 1950s before an aggressive approach to metastatic disease was adopted.
Conclusions. The types of clinical courses observed in this study may be more reflective of the varied biologic features of parathyroid carcinoma and the approach to recurrence than of the initial operations. For patients with recurrent or distant disease, an operation appears to prolong survival and palliate the symptoms of hypercalcemia.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Parastruma Maligna Aberrata.Deutsche Ztschr F Chir. 1904; 100: 334-352
- Primary carcinoma of parathyroid gland with report of case.Bull Acad Med Toronto. 1938; 11: 105-110
- Parathyroid carcinoma: a collective review.Ann Surg. 1969; 169: 631-640
- Parathyroid carcinoma: a study of 70 cases.Cancer. 1973; 31: 600-605
- Parathyroid carcinoma versus parathyroid adenoma in patients with profound hypercalcemia.Surgery. 1987; 101: 649-660
- Carcinoma of the parathyroid gland: is it over-diagnosed?.Am J Surg. 1987; 147: 292-298
- Carcinoma of the parathyroid gland: how reliable are the clinical and histologic features?.Arch Pathol. 1973; 96: 316-319
- Parathyroid carcinoma: a review of 62 patients.Endo Rev. 1982; 3: 218-226
- Parathyroid carcinoma: features and difficulties in diagnosis and management.Surgery. 1983; 94: 906-915
- Parathyroid carcinoma: a report of two cases and a review of the literature.Arch Intern Med. 1961; 108: 139-143
- Surgical resection of metastatic parathyroid carcinoma.Ann Surg. 1981; 193: 425-435
- Parathyroid carcinoma: the Lahey clinic experience.Surgery. 1985; 98: 1095-1100
- Natural history of parathyroid carcinoma: diagnosis, treatment, and results.Am J Surg. 1985; 149: 522-527
- Carcinoma of the parathyroid glands: report of 10 cases with endocrine function.JAMA. 1961; 178: 556-559
- Ultrasonic appearances of parathyroid carcinoma.Br J Radiol. 1989; 62: 1077-1079
- Parathyroid carcinoma: high frequency sonographic features.Radiology. 1986; 151: 65-67
- Localization and surgical resection of metastatic parathyroid carcinoma.World J Surg. 1986; 10: 539-547
- Parathyroid carcinoma visualized by gallium −67 citrate scintigraphy.J Nucl Med. 1986; 27: 63-65
- Primary hyperparathyroidism: incidence, morbidity, and potential economic impact in a community.N Engl J Med. 1980; 302: 189-193
- Gallium nitrate for treatment of refractory hypercalcemia from parathyroid carcinoma.Ann Intern Med. 1987; 107: 683-686
- Mithramycin treatment of intractable hypercalcemia due to parathyroid carcinoma.N Engl J Med. 1970; 283: 634-663
- Successful combination chemotherapy for metastatic parathyroid carcinoma.Arch Intern Med. 1984; 144: 399-400
- Parathyroid carcinoma: biochemical and pathologic response to DTIC.Surgery. 1984; 96: 1132-1136
- Hyperfunctioning parathyroid carcinoma.Med J Aust. 1968; 55: 219-222
- Stilbestrol diphosphate in hypercalcemia due to parathyroid carcinoma.Br Med J. 1973; 1: 27-48
- Parathyroid carcinoma: two new cases—diagnosis, therapy and treatment.Laryngoscope. 1987; 97: 215-220
- Locally recurrent parathyroid neoplasms as a cause for recurrent and persistent hyperparathyroidism.Ann Surg. 1991; 213: 58-65
- Successful resection of intrathoracic metastases from two patients with parathyroid carcinoma.World J Surg. 1984; 8: 547-551
- Successful removal of single metastasis in recurrent parathyroid carcinoma.Br Med J. 1973; 1: 397-398
- Synchronous occurrence of parathyroid carcinoma and adenoma in an elderly woman.Surgery. 1989; 106: 929-933
- Parathyroid hyperplasia and carcinoma within one gland.Am J Med. 1984; 77: 131-134
- Parathyroid carcinoma in a chronic hemodialysis patient.Nephron. 1989; 52: 194-195
- Two cases of parathyroid carcinoma in patients on long term hemodialysis.Nephron. 1990; 55: 429-431
- Nucleolar organizer regions in normal, hyperplastic, and neoplastic parathyroid regions.Virchows Arch A Pathol Anat Histopathol. 1990; 417: 237-241
- Flow cytometric DNA analysis of parathyroid tumors with special reference to its diagnostic and prognostic value in parathyroid carcinoma.Cancer. 1990; 65: 1789-1793
Accepted: August 16, 1992
© 1993 Published by Elsevier Inc.