This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Background. The aim of this study was to determine the correlation between shear stress and the release of interleukin-1 (IL-1) and interleukin-6 (IL-6) by endothelial cells (EC).
Methods. Bovine aortic EC were seeded in fibronectin-coated cylinders at 1.0 × 106 cells/tube and allowed to reach confluence and to adhere for 48 hours. The experimental groups were subjected to a laminar flow of 100 ml/min (6 dyne/cm2). The control group was subjected to similar incubation conditions without flow. The release of IL-1 and IL-6 by EC was measured by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay.
Results. Shear stress increased significantly (p < 0.01) the release of IL-1 and IL-6 by EC. The release of these two cytokines had different kinetics.
Conclusions. Increasing shear stress facilitates release of IL-1 and IL-6 by EC. Previous reports have shown that IL-1 and IL-6 promote vascular smooth-muscle cell proliferation. Thus abnormal flow conditions with increasing shear stress may predispose to smooth-muscle cell proliferation that characterizes early atherosclerotic plaque development by an interleukin-mediated mechanism.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The pathogenesis of atherosclerosis.N Engl J Med. 1976; 295: 369-377
- Role of endothelial integrity in atherosclerosis.Artery. 1980; 8: 305-314
- Recent advances in molecular pathology. Arterial endothelium-assessment of in vivo injury.Exp Mol Pathol. 1984; 41: 419-434
- Blood flow velocity in the right coronary artery; relation to the distribution of atherosclerotic lesions.Am J Cardiol. 1984; 53: 1008-1012
- Endothelial regeneration III time course of intimal changes after small defined injury to rat aortic endothelium.Lab Invest. 1981; 44: 301-306
- Interleukin 1 promotes proliferation of vascular smooth muscle cells in coordination with PDGF or a monocyte derived growth factor.Exp Cell Res. 1989; 181: 475-482
- Mitogenic action of Interleukin 1 on vascular smooth muscle cells mediated by PDGF.Atherosclerosis. 1990; 84: 183-188
- Interleukin 6 stimulates c-myc expression and proliferation of cultured vascular smooth muscle cells.Biochem Int. 1990; 20: 445-454
- Interleukin 6 stimulates growth of vascular smooth muscle cells in a PDGF-dependent manner.Am J Physiol. 1991; 260: H1713-H1717
- Interleukin 1 regulates heparin-binding growth factor 2 gene expression in vascular smooth muscle cells.in: Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 88. 1991: 296-300
- Shear stress regulation of artery lumen diameter in experimental atherogenesis.J Vasc Surg. 1987; 5: 413-420
- Adaptive regulation of wall shear stress to flow change in the canine carotid artery.Am J Physiol. 1980; 239: H14-H21
- Carotid bifurcation atherosclerosis: quantitative correlation of plaque localization with flow velocity profiles and wall shear stress.Circ Res. 1983; 53: 502-514
- Flow studies in a model carotid bifurcation.Arteriosclerosis. 1981; 1: 235-241
- Pulsatile flow and atherosclerosis in the human carotid bifurcation. Positive correlation between plaque location and low and oscillating shear stress.Arteriosclerosis. 1985; 5: 293-302
- Shear stress increases inositol triphosphate levels in human endothelial cells.Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1990; 170: 281-287
- Stimulation of phosphoinositide hydrolysis in bovine aortic endothelial cells exposed to elevated shear stress.J Cell Biol. 1989; 109: 313-320
- Arterial smooth muscle cells express platelet derived growth factor (PDGF) A chain mRNA, secrete a PDGF-like mitogen, and bind exogenous PDGF in a phenotype- and growth state-dependent manner.J Cell Biol. 1988; 106: 403-413
- Specific receptors for platelet-derived growth factors on cell derived from connective tissue and glia.in: Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 78. 1981: 3664-3668
- Surface binding and internalization of platelet-derived growth factor in human fibroblast.in: Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 80. 1983: 5592-5596
- Production of platelet-derived growth factor-like molecules by cultured arterial smooth muscle cells accompanies proliferation after arterial injury.in: Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 83. 1986: 7311-7315
- Sis (platelet-derived growth factor B chain) gene transcript levels are elevated in human atherosclerotic lesions compared to normal artery.in: Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 84. 1987: 1099-1103
- Shear stress modulates the proliferation rate, protein synthesis and mitogenic activity of arterial smooth muscle cells.Surgery. 1993; 113: 691-699
- Cytokine regulation of interleukin 6 production by human endothelial cells.Cell Immunol. 1989; 121: 372-382
- The biological activities of Interleukin 1.Blutalkohol. 1989; 59: 147-156
- IL-1 stimulates IL-6 production in endothelial cell.J Immunol. 1989; 142: 549-553
Accepted: August 16, 1992
© 1993 Published by Elsevier Inc.