This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Background. Current options in the management of bile duct injuries caused by laparoscopic cholecystectomy include diagnostic and therapeutic endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) and open laparotomy with direct repair. The goal of this review was to clarify the role and evaluate the potential of endoscopic techniques to diagnose and treat bile duct injuries.
Methods. The records of all patients undergoing biliary tract surgery at our hospitals for the period from December 1989 to February 1993 were reviewed. Twenty-five patients were identified with bile duct injuries during laparoscopic cholecystectomy.
Results. ERCP was performed for diagnostic or therapeutic purposes in 22 of the 25 patients; successful opacification of the biliary tree was achieved in 21 (95%) of the 22 patients. In these 21 patients the location and nature of the injury were identified correctly in 19 (90%). In six of the 25 cases, interventional ERCP was used as the primary treatment of these injuries. Successful treatment was achieved in five (83%) of the six cases, although laparotomy was required in two to drain the abscess cavity better. Open surgical repair was performed as the primary treatment in the remaining 19 patients. Interventional ERCP with stenting was required in six and transhepatic stenting in one of these patients as an adjunctive treatment for stricture or persistent fistula. Six (86%) of these seven patients have been treated successfully to date in this manner.
Conclusions. ERCP is a uniquely helpful diagnostic and therapeutic technique in the management of laparoscopic biliary complications. Open surgical repair remains the procedure of choice for patients with loss of bile duct tissue or long complex strictures. ERCP with sphincterotomy, balloon dilatation, and stenting is an accepted alternative approach for bile leaks (fistulas) and treatment of shorter strictures resulting from either the initial laparoscopic injury or the initial repair.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Complications of laparoscopic cholecystectomy.Surg Laparosc Endosc. 1992; 2: 41-48
- Complications of laparoscopic cholecystectomy.Surgery. 1991; 110: 769-778
- Laparoscopic injuries to the bile duct.Ann Surg. 1992; 215: 203-208
- Bile duct injury in laparoscopic cholecystectomy.Surg Laparosc Endosc. 1992; 2: 1-7
- Diagnosis and management of biliary complications of laparoscopic cholecystectomy.Am J Surg. 1993; 165: 663-669
- Mechanisms of major biliary injury during laparoscopic cholecystectomy.Ann Surg. 1992; 215: 196-202
- Multipractice analysis of laparoscopic cholecystectomy in 1,983 patients.Am J Surg. 1991; 163: 221-226
- A prospective analysis of 1518 laparoscopic cholecystectomies.N Engl J Med. 1991; 324: 1073-1078
- Laparoscopic cholecystectomy: a review of 12,397 patients.Surg Laparosc Endosc. 1992; 2: 191-197
- Crushing stones: mechanical, intracorporeal and extracorporeal lithotripsy in the clearance of common bile duct lithiasis.Can J Gastroenterol. 1991; 4: 564-567
- Interventional endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography: state of the art. Part I.J R Coll Surg Edinb. 1992; 37: 389-397
- Interventional endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography: state of the art. Part II.J R Coll Surg Edinb. 1992; 37: 357-368
- Endoscopic treatment of postoperative biliary fistulas.Surgery. 1991; 110: 779-784
- Postoperative bile duct strictures.Surg Clin North Am. 1990; 70: 1355-1379
- Benign postoperative biliary strictures: dilatation with fluoroscopic guidance.Radiology. 1987; 163: 629-634
- Benign postoperative biliary strictures: operate or dilate?.Ann Surg. 1989; 210: 417-427
- Endoscopic biliary prostheses as treatment for benign postoperative bile duct strictures.Gastrointest Endosc. 1989; 35: 95-101
- Endoscopic stenting for post-operative biliary strictures.Gastrointest Endosc. 1992; 38: 12-18
- Treatment of postoperative bile fistulas by internal endoscopic biliary drainage.Gastroenterology. 1986; 90: 1998-2003
- Endoscopic treatment of biliary tract fistulas.Gastrointest Endosc. 1989; 35: 490-498
- Biliary complications related to laparoscopic cholecystectomies: radiologic diagnosis and management.Surg Laparosc Endosc. 1992; 2: 279-286
- Injury to an accessory bile duct during laparoscopic cholecystectomy.Surg Laparosc Endosc. 1992; 2: 317-320
☆Presented at the Fiftieth Annual Meeting of the Central Surgical Association, Cincinnati, Ohio, March 4–6, 1993.
© 1993 Published by Elsevier Inc.