This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Background. Primary hyperparathyroidism (pHPT) is associated with a defective regulation of the secretion of parathyroid hormone (PTH). Thus in pHPT, higher than normal calcium concentrations are required to inhibit PTH release. However, it is not known if this defective regulation is normalized by removal of the parathyroid adenoma (i.e., whether the regulation of PTH secretion is normal in the remaining glands). In this study we therefore investigated the PTH secretion in patients operated on for parathyroid adenoma 1 year after operation.
Methods. Na2 ethylenediamine tetraacetic acid and CaCI2 were infused at constant rates in six patients operated on for parathyroid adenoma and six healthy individuals. Serum levels of intact PTH and ionized calcium were determined during the infusions.
Results. No significant differences between the two groups were found in baseline levels of serum ionized calcium and PTH. Furthermore, no significant differences between patients and control subjects were found in the maximum serum PTH levels during the hypocalcemic infusion of ethylenediamine tetraacetic acid or in the minimum serum PTH levels during the calcium infusion. In contrast, the set point (the calcium concentration required for half-maximal inhibition of PTH secretion) was significantly lower in the patients (1.20 ± 0.01 mmol/L) compared with control subjects (1.22 ± 0.01 mmol/L; p < 0.05).
Conclusions. We conclude that the elevation of set point in patients with parathyroid adenoma is corrected by successful operation. This suggests a monoclonal origin of parathyroid adenomas.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Late results of operation for primary hyperparathyroidism in 441 patients.Surgery. 1986; 99: 643-651
- Relation between changes in clinical and histopathological features of primary hyperparathyroidism.World J Surg. 1986; 10: 696-702
- Patients with primary hyperparathyroidism operated on over a 24-year period: temporal trends of clinical and laboratory findings.J Chron Dis. 1987; 40: 121-130
- Parathyroid metabolism after operative treatment of hypercalcemic (primary) hyperparathyroidism.Surgery. 1987; 102: 898-902
- Histologic parathyroid abnormalities in an autopsy series.Hum Pathol. 1986; 17: 520-527
- Parathyroid histology and cytology with monoclonal antibodies recognizing a calcium sensor of parathyroid cells.Am J Pathol. 1989; 135: 321-328
- Clinical characteristics and surgical treatment of sporadic primary hyperparathyroidism with emphasis on chief cell hyperplasia.Surgery. 1990; 107: 13-19
- Multicellular origin of parathyroid “adenomas”.N Engl J Med. 1977; 297: 696-698
- Probable clonal origin of aldosteronomas versus multicellular origin of parathyroid “adenomas”.Surgery. 1982; 92: 875-879
- DNA patterns in parathyroid disease predict postoperative parathyroid hormone secretion.Surgery. 1988; 104: 1115-1120
- Monoclonality and abnormal parathyroid hormone genes in parathyroid adenomas.N Engl J Med. 1988; 318: 658-662
- Molecular cloning and chromosomal mapping of DNA rearranged with the parathyroid hormone gene in a parathyroid adenoma.J Clin Invest. 1989; 83: 2034-2040
- Four-parameter model of the sigmoidal relationship between parathyroid hormone release and extracellular calcium concentration in normal and abnormal parathyroid tissue.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1983; 56: 572-581
- Relationship between the concentration and rate of change of calcium and serum intact parathyroid hormone levels in normal humans.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1988; 67: 944-950
- Dispersed cells prepared from human parathyroid glands: distinct calcium sensitivity of adenomas vs primary hyperplasia.J Endocrinol Metab. 1978; 46: 267-275
- Stimulation of parathyroid hormone secretion by EDTA infusion: a test for the differential diagnosis of hypercalcaemia.Acta Endocrinol (Copenh). 1986; 111: 498-506
- Relationship between external and cytoplasmatic calcium concentrations, parathyroid hormone release and weight of parathyroid glands in human hyperparathyroidism.J Endocrinol. 1988; 116: 457-464
- Calcium-regulated parathyroid hormone release in primary hyperparathyroidism: studies in vitro with dispersed parathyroid cells.Am J Med. 1979; 66: 923-931
- Anatomy and histopathology of human parathyroid glands.in: 2nd ed. Pathology annual, 1981. vol 16. Appleton-Century-Crofts, Norwalk, Connecticut1981: 1-24
- Intraoperative fall of plasma levels of intact parathyroid hormone after removal of one enlarged parathyroid gland in hyperparathyroid patients.Eur J Surg. 1991; 157: 109-112
- Intraoperative measurement of parathyroid hormone in the surgical management of hyperparathyroidism.Surgery. 1988; 104: 1121-1127
- Rate and concentration dependence of parathyroid hormone dynamics during stepwise changes in serum ionized calcium in normal humans.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1990; 71: 370-378
- A microassay for 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D not requiring high performance liquid chromatography: application to clinical studies.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1984; 58: 91-98
- Defective regulation of the cytosolic Ca2+ activity in parathyroid cells from patients with hyperparathyroidism.Biosci Rep. 1984; 4: 909-915
- Regulation of parathyroid hormone release and cytosolic calcium by extracellular calcium in dispersed and cultured bovine and pathological human parathyroid cells.J Clin Invest. 1985; 75: 49-57
- Microfluorometric measurements of cytoplasmic calcium in chief and oxyphil parathyroid cells of adenomatous and hyperplastic glands and of normal-sized glands associated with adenomas.Surgery. 1989; 106: 517-524
- Abnormal calcium-regulated PTH release in normal parathyroid tissue from patients with adenoma.Am J Med. 1981; 71: 565-570
- Cell kinetics in parathyroid adenomas: evidence for decline in rates of cell birth and tumor growth, assuming clonal origin.Clin Endocrinol. 1991; 35: 151-157
- Studies on in vivo and in vitro release of intact parathyroid hormone using a new two-site immunochemiluminometric assay.World J Surg. 1988; 12: 454-462
Accepted: March 23, 1992
☆Supported by the Medical Faculty, Lund University, Lund, Sweden.
© 1993 Published by Elsevier Inc.