Background. The utility of intraoperative parathyroid hormone (PTH) monitoring is unclear in the surgical management of renal hyperparathyroidism. Our goal was to define the normal pattern of decay during operation for renal hyperparathyroidism by using the rapid intact (1-84) parathyroid hormone (PTH) assay. Methods. Eighty consecutive patients underwent neck exploration for renal hyperparathyroidism. Intact PTH levels were monitored with a rapid immunochemiluminometric assay. Samples were assayed at the induction of anesthesia, after dissection before resection, and 20 and 40 minutes after resection. Follow-up ranged from 3 to 24 months. Results. Twenty minutes after resection, PTH levels remained many-fold supranormal. Seventy-seven patients (96%) were cured. Of these, 75 patients (94%) had PTH decay of more than 50% from the preoperative level; 74 (99%) were cured. Only 1 of 3 patients (33%) in whom the PTH level decreased less than 40% from the preoperative level was cured. Two patients had intermediate values and both were cured. Conclusions. The intraoperative decay of PTH during operation for renal hyperparathyroidism is slower than for patients with normal renal function. However, 20 minutes after resection, a decline to less than 50% of the preoperative level predicts cure, while a level greater than 60% predicts failure. (Surgery 2000;128:1029-34.)
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Indications of parathyroidectomy and extent of treatment for patients with secondary hyperparathyroidism.Surg Clin North Am. 1995; 75: 465-482
- Subtotal parathyroidectomy versus total parathyroidectomy and autotrans-plantation in secondary hyperparathyroidism: a randomized trial.World J Surg. 1991; 15: 745-750
- Results of reoperations for persistent or recurrent secondary hyper-parathyroidism in hemodialysis patients.World J Surg. 1990; 14: 303-307
- Long-term results after surgical treatment of renal hyperparathyroidism when fewer than four glands are identified at operation.J Am Coll Surg. 1997; 184: 70-74
- American Association of Endocrine Surgeons. Presidential address: chasin' hormones.Surgery. 1999; 126: 993-997
- A new, practical, intraoperative parathyroid hormone assay.Am J Surg. 1994; 169: 466-468
- Intraoperative monitoring of parathyroid procedures by a 15-minute parathyroid immunochemiluminometric assay.Mayo Clin Proc. 1994; 69: 532-537
- Intraoperative parathyroid hormone monitoring as an adjunct to parathyroidectomy.Surgery. 1996; 129: 954-958
- Initial experience with intraoperative PTH determinations in the surgical management of 130 consecutive cases of primary hyperparathyroidism.Surgery. 1999; 126: 1132-1138
- Usefulness and limits of quick intraoperative measurements of intact (1-84) parathyroid hormone in the surgical management of hyperparathyroidism: sequential measurements in patients with multiglandular disease.Surgery. 1991; 110: 1035-1042
- Intraoperative blood sampling for parathyroid hormone measurement during total parathyroidectomy and autotransplantation in patients with renal hyper-parathyroidism.Wein Klin Wochenser. 1999; 111: 246-250
- Intraoperative parathyroid hormone monitoring during parathyroidectomy for secondary hyperparathyroidism.Surgery. 1997; 122: 1034-1039
- New concepts in renal osteodystrophy.Nephron Dial Transplant. 1998; 13: 2755-2760
- Accumulation of a non-(1-84) molecular form of parathyroid hormone (PTH) detected by intact PTH assay in renal failure: importance in the interpretation of PTH values.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1996; : 3923-3929
- Kinetic analysis of the rapid intraoperative parathyroid hormone assay in patients during operation for hyperparathyroidism.Surgery. 1999; 126: 1145-1151
- Parathyroid hyperplasia and parathyromatosis [letter].Lancet. 1997; 1: 549
- Study of intact (1-84) parathyroid hormone secretion in patients undergoing parathyroidectomy.World J Surg. 1990; 14: 355-360
*Reprint requests: Charles A. G. Proye, Service de Chirurgie Generale et Endocrinienne, Hôpital Claude Huriez, F59037 Lille, France.
© 2000 Mosby, Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.