Granular cell tumors (gcts) initially were described by Muller in 1836 and by Virchow and Weber in 1854.
- Manstein ME
- McBrearty FX
- Pellechia PE
- Paskin DL
Granular cell tumor of the common bile duct.
Dig Dis Sci. 1981; 26: 938-942
2in 1926, considered GCTs to be of muscular origin and, on the basis of their morphology and their frequent localization in the tongue, coined the term “myoblastic myomata.” Feyrter,
- Abrikosoff AI
Uber myome, ausgehend von der quergestreiften willkurlichen muskulatur.
Virchows Arch Pathol Anat. 1926; 260: 215-233
3in 1935, and subsequently, Fust and Custer,
- Feyrter F.
Uber eine eigenartige geschwulstform des nervengewebes im menschlichen verdanungs schlauch.
Virchows Arch Pathol Anat. 1935; 295: 480-501
4in 1949, suggested a neurogenic origin. Since that time, approximately 1000 cases of GCTs have been reported in the literature under a variety of names that reflect their controversial histologic cell of origin (eg, granular cell myoblastoma, neuroma, and schwannoma.)
- Fust JA
- Custer RP
On neurogenesis of so-called granular cell myoblastoma.
Am J Clin Pathol. 1949; 19: 522-535
5The current literature supports the use of the noncommittal term, granular cell tumor. The first GCT of the biliary tree was reported at the time of an autopsy in 1952 by Coggins.
- Jardines L
- Cheung L
- LiVolsi V
- Hendrickson S
- Brooks JJ
Malignant granular cell tumors: report of a case and review of the literature.
Surgery. 1994; 116: 49-54
6Since then, only 57 cases of GCT of the extrahepatic biliary tree have been reported.
- Coggins RP
Granular cell myoblastoma of the common bile duct: report of a case with autopsy findings.
Arch Pathol Lab Med. 1952; 54: 398-402
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Granular cell tumor of the common bile duct.Dig Dis Sci. 1981; 26: 938-942
- Uber myome, ausgehend von der quergestreiften willkurlichen muskulatur.Virchows Arch Pathol Anat. 1926; 260: 215-233
- Uber eine eigenartige geschwulstform des nervengewebes im menschlichen verdanungs schlauch.Virchows Arch Pathol Anat. 1935; 295: 480-501
- On neurogenesis of so-called granular cell myoblastoma.Am J Clin Pathol. 1949; 19: 522-535
- Malignant granular cell tumors: report of a case and review of the literature.Surgery. 1994; 116: 49-54
- Granular cell myoblastoma of the common bile duct: report of a case with autopsy findings.Arch Pathol Lab Med. 1952; 54: 398-402
- S-100 protein in granular cell tumors. (Granular cell myoblastomas).Cancer. 1982; 49: 1834-1838
- Granular cell tumor of the biliary tree. A report of two cases and a review of the literature.Am J Surg Pathol. 1991; 15: 460-465
- Biliary granular cell tumor: a little-known curable bile duct neoplasm of young people.Surgery. 1988; 103: 328-334
- Malignant granular cell tumor: a case report and review of the recent literature.Hum Pathol. 1996; 27: 853-858
- Multicentric granular cell tumor of the colon: report of a patient with 52 tumors.Am J Gastroenterol. 1993; 88: 1785-1787
- Spindle cell tumor of the pancreas: treatment by pancreaticoduodenectomy.Surgery. 1997; 122: 105-111
- Granular cell tumor of the biliary system.Med Pediatr Oncol. 1994; 23: 50-56
- Granular cell tumor of the extrahepatic biliary tract.Am Surg. 1998; 64: 1033-1036
- Granular cell tumor.Ryoikibetsu Shokogun Shirizu. 1996; 9: 259-260
Accepted: January 12, 2000
*Reprint requests: Stavros Karakozis, MD, Department of Surgery, Room G-253, Washington Hospital Center, 110 Irving St, NW, Washington, DC 20010.
© 2000 Mosby, Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.