Background. Previous work has demonstrated that intestinal ischemia increases plasma amylin concentration. This study examined the relationship between the degree of intestinal ischemia injury and plasma amylin in an experimental rat model. Methods. Wistar rats were divided into a control group (n = 6); a sham-operated group (n = 9); and 3 intestinal ischemia-reperfusion groups (n = 8 in each), which underwent clamping of the superior mesenteric artery for either 15, 30, or 45 minutes followed by 15 minutes of reperfusion. Samples were then collected for intestinal histology and measurement of amylin, insulin, and glucose. Results. There was a positive correlation between the histologic score of the intestinal injury and the measured plasma amylin concentration (R = 0.48, P =.007). The median plasma concentration of amylin was 62 pmol/L (range, 42-97 pmol/L) in the 30-minute intestinal ischemia group and 58 pmol/L (42-86 pmol/L) in the 45-minute intestinal ischemia group. Both these groups were increased compared with the sham-operated group (29 pmol/L; range, 22-57 pmol/L; P <.001 and P <.005, respectively) and the control group (28 pmol/L; range, 26-42 pmol/L; P <.001 and P <.0005, respectively). The median plasma concentration of insulin in the 30-minute intestinal ischemia group was 4230 pmol/L (range, 1360-5770 pmol/L), which was increased compared with both the control group (950 pmol/L; range, 550-1510 pmol/L; P <.005) and the sham-operated group (720 pmol/L; range, 280-4180 pmol/L; P<.005). There were no differences between any of the other groups either for glucose, insulin, or amylin. Conclusions. Plasma amylin concentration is related to the severity of intestinal ischemic injury. (Surgery 2001;129:730-5.)
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Splanchnic ischaemia and its role in multiple organ failure.Acta Anaesthesiol Scand. 1994; 38: 626-639
- Splanchnic ischaemia/reperfusion and multiple organ failure.Br J Anaesth. 1996; 77: 59-70
- Gastric intramucosal pH predicts death in severe acute pancreatitis.Br J Surg. 1997; 84: 1670-1674
- Role of serum endotoxin and antiendotoxin core antibody levels in predicting the development of multiple organ failure in acute pancreatitis.Br J Surg. 1993; 80: 1042-1046
- Bacterial contamination of pancreatic necrosis: a prospective clinical study.Gastroenterology. 1986; 91: 433-438
- Amylin compared with calcitonin gene related peptide: structure, biology, and relevance to metabolic disease.Endocr Rev. 1994; 15: 163-201
- Induction of insulin resistance in vivo by amylin and calcitonin gene related peptide.Diabetes. 1990; 39: 260-265
- Amylin injection causes elevated plasma lactate and glucose in the rat.FEBS Lett. 1991; 291: 101-104
- Amylin mobilizes [Ca2+]I and stimulates the release of pancreatic digestive enzymes from rat acinar AR42J cells: evidence for an exclusive receptor system for amylin.Peptides. 1996; 17: 497-502
- Pancreatic islet blood flow in the rat after administration of islet amyloid polypeptide or calcitonin gene related peptide.Diabetes. 1994; 43: 454-458
- Amylin and severe acute pancreatitis.Pancreas. 2000; 20: 105-106
- Intestinal ischaemia-reperfusion increases plasma amylin concentration in rats.Eur Surg Res. 1999; 31: 457-464
- An improved method for the determination of islet amyloid polypeptide levels in plasma.Ann Clin Biochem. 1994; 31: 165-170
- Preparation of iodine 131 labeled human growth hormone of high specific activity.Nature. 1962; 194: 495-496
- Interleukin-10 reduces the systemic inflammation response in a murine model of intestinal ischemia/reperfusion.Surgery. 1997; 122: 288-294
- Problems with P.in: Editiones Roche, Basel (Switzerland)1984: 63-72
- Statistical methods.in: 7th edition. Iowa State University Press, Ames1980: 215-237
- No correlation between insulin and islet amyloid polypeptide after stimulation with glucagon-like peptide-1 in type 2 diabetes.Eur J Endocrinol. 1997; 137: 643-649
- Pancreatic ischaemia in experimental acute pancreatitis: mechanism, significance and therapy.Br J Surg. 1990; 77: 1205-1210
- Co-secretion of amylin and insulin from cultured islet β-cells: modulation by nutrient secretogogues, islet hormones and hypoglycemic agents.Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1991; 179: 1-9
- Pancreatic cancer cells selectively stimulate islet beta cells to secrete amylin.Gastroenterol. 1998; 114: 130-138
Accepted: December 22, 2000
*Supported by the Maurice and Phyllis Paykel Trust, the University of Auckland Staff Research Fund, the Auckland Medical Research Foundation, and the Health Research Council of New Zealand.
**Reprint requests: Dr Anthony R. J. Phillips, Level 4 Thomas Building, School of Biological Science, University of Auckland, Private Bag 92019, Auckland, New Zealand.
© 2001 Mosby, Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.