Background. Enterocolitis is the major toxicity of methotrexate-based cancer chemotherapy, which limits its clinical applications. Methotrexate induces gut mucosal apoptosis in vivo; however, little is known about the molecular mechanism involved. The effectors of apoptosis include the caspase family of proteases, which are selectively activated in a stimulus-specific and tissue-specific fashion. The aims of this study were (1) to establish an in vitro model of methotrexate-induced gut apoptosis and (2) to determine the role of caspases in methotrexate-induced apoptosis in intestinal epithelial cells. Methods. Rat intestinal epithelial cells (RIE-1) were treated with methotrexate in the absence or presence of ZVAD-fluoromethyl ketone, a general caspase inhibitor. Apoptosis was quantified by means of deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) fragmentation assays and Hoechst nuclear staining. Caspase activation was measured with the use of fluorogenic substrates. Results. Methotrexate induced apoptosis and decreased cell number in RIE-1 cells. DNA fragmentation was preceded by the sequential activation of caspases 9, 2, and 3, whereas caspases 1 and 8 remained inactive. ZVAD-fluoromethyl ketone inhibited methotrexate-induced caspase activation, DNA fragmentation, and nuclear condensation. Conclusions. These results indicate that methotrexate activates specific caspases and induces apoptosis in RIE-1 cells. Furthermore, caspases may play an important role in methotrexate-induced apoptosis in RIE-1 cells and may be potential therapeutic targets to attenuate methotrexate-induced enterocolitis. (Surgery 2001;859-65.)
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Intensification of preoperative chemotherapy for osteogenic sarcoma: results of the Memorial Sloan-Kettering (T12) protocol.J Clin Oncol. 1998; 16: 2452-2458
- Intensified therapy for infants with acute lymphoblastic leukemia: results from the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute Consortium.Cancer. 1997; 80: 2285-2295
- High-dose consolidation therapy with autologous stem-cell rescue in stage IV breast cancer: follow-up report.J Clin Oncol. 1992; 10: 1743-1747
- High-dose chemotherapy in human solid tumors: rationale and practical use.in: Cancer chemotherapy: challenges for the future. Excerpta Medica, Tokyo1986: 130-143
- Clinical pharmacology of high-dose methotrexate in humans.in: Methotrexate in cancer therapy. Raven Press, New York1986: 55-68
- Gastrointestinal toxicity of chemotherapeutic agents.in: Toxicity of chemotherapy. Grune & Stratton, New York1984: 269-295
- Apoptosis as a mechanism of cell death induced by different chemotherapeutic drugs in human leukemic T-lymphocytes.Biochem Pharmacol. 1996; 51: 1331-1340
- Characteristics of cancer cell death after exposure to cytotoxic drugs in vitro.Br J Cancer. 1996; 73: 54-60
- Selective sparing of goblet cells and paneth cells in the intestine of methotrexate-treated rats.Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2000; 279: G1037-G1047
- Bombesin improves survival from methotrexate-induced enterocolitis.Ann Surg. 1994; 220: 570-576
- To die or not to die: an overview of apoptosis and its role in disease.JAMA. 1998; 279: 300-307
- Caspases: enemies within.Science. 1998; 281: 1312-1316
- Cytochrome C and dATP-dependent formation of Apaf-1/caspase-9 complex initiates an apoptotic protease cascade.Cell. 1997; 91: 479-489
- Characterization of an epithelioid cell line derived from rat small intestine: demonstration of cytokeratin filaments.Cell Biol Int Rep. 1969; 8: 551-560
- Intestinal cell cycle regulation.in: Progress in cell cycle research. Plenum Press, New York1997: 43-52
- Glutamine deprivation induces apoptosis in intestinal epithelial cells.Surgery. 1998; 124: 152-159
- Diabetes-induced apoptosis in rat kidney.Biochem Mol Med. 1997; 61: 58-62
- Prevention of mucosal atrophy: role of glutamine and caspases in apoptosis in intestinal epithelial cells.J Gastrointest Surg. 2000; 4: 416-423
- Different interleukin-1 beta converting enzyme (ICE) family protease requirements for the apoptotic death of T lymphocytes triggered by diverse stimuli.J Exp Med. 1996; 184: 2445-2450
- Attenuation of ischemia/reperfusion injury in rats by a caspase inhibitor.Circulation. 1998; 97: 276-281
- Mitochondrial cytochrome C release in apoptosis occurs upstream of DEVD-specific caspase activation and independently of mitochondrial transmembrane depolarization.EMBO J. 1998; 17: 37-49
- Regulation and significance of apoptosis in the stem cells of the gastrointestinal epithelium.Stem Cells. 1997; 15: 82-93
- Chemotherapy augments TRAIL-induced apoptosis in breast cell lines.Cancer Res. 1999; 59: 734-741
- Immunohistochemical analysis of in vivo patterns of expression of CPP32 (Caspase-3), a cell death protease.Cancer Res. 1997; 57: 1605-1613
Accepted: May 18, 2001
*Supported by National Institutes of Health grants F32 DK09867, KO8 CA64191, PO1 DK35608, and EY 08547; American Cancer Society, Texas Division, Inc; Lions Eye Bank Foundation; and Walls Medical Research Foundation.
**Reprint requests: Tien C. Ko, MD, Department of Surgery, University of Texas Medical Branch, 301 University Blvd, Galveston, TX 77555-0542.
© 2001 Mosby, Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.