Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery
- Wound repair: overview and general considerations.in: The molecular and cellular biology of wound repair. : Plenum Press, New York1996: 3-50
- Granulation tissue as a contractile organ: a study of structure and function.J Exp Med. 1972; 135: 719-734
- Contraction of granulation tissue in vitro: similarity to smooth muscle.Science. 1971; 173: 548-550
- Wound contraction in relation to collagen formation in scorbutic guinea-pigs.J Embryol Exp Morphol. 1956; 4: 167-175
- Collagen formation and wound contraction during repair of small excised wounds in the skin of rats.J Embryol Exp Morphol. 1954; 2: 264-274
- Studies on wound healing, with special reference to the phenomenon of contracture in experimental wounds in rabbits' skin.Ann Surg. 1956; 144: 961-981
- The healing of skin defects: an experimental study on the white rat.Acta Chir Scand. 1946; 44: 1-163
- Apoptosis mediates the decrease in cellularity during the transition between granulation tissue and scar.Am J Pathol. 1995; 146: 56-66
- Covering by a flap induces apoptosis of granulation tissue myofibroblasts and vascular cells.Wound Rep Reg. 1996; 4: 244-251
- Inhibition of myofibroblasts by skin grafts.J Plast Reconstr Surg. 1979; 63: 473-480
- Expression and localization of p53 and bcl-2 in healing wounds in diabetic and nondiabetic mice.Wound Rep Reg. 2000; 8: 45-58
- Apoptosis down-regulates inflammation under the advancing epithelial wound edge: delayed patterns in diabetes and improvement with topical growth factors.Surgery. 1997; 121: 372-380
- Human fibroblasts in a mechanically stressed matrix undergo apoptosis after stress removal.Surg Forum. 1998; 49: 643-645
- Release of mechanical tension triggers apoptosis of human fibroblasts in a model of regressing granulation tissue.Exp Cell Res. 1999; 248: 608-619
- In situ apoptotic cell labeling by the TUNEL method: improvement and evaluation on cell preparations.J Histochem Cytochem. 1996; 44: 959-968
- Improved detection of apoptotic cells using a modified in situ TUNEL technique.J Histochem Cytochem. 1999; 47: 837-839
- TUNEL apoptotic cell detection in tissue sections: critical evaluation and improvement critical evaluation and improvement.J Histochem Cytochem. 1998; 46: 327-334
- Microwave irradiation of paraffin-embedded tissue sensitizes the TUNEL method for in situ detection of apoptotic cells.Histochem Cell Biol. 1995; 103: 157-160
*These studies were initiated and many of the techniques developed when M.A.C. was a research fellow in the Department of Surgery at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical School and supported by NIH grants R01-GM31321 and T32-GM08593. M.A.C. currently is a recipient of a K Award from the NIH (K08 GM00703).
**Reprint requests: Mark A. Carlson, MD, Surgery 112, VA Medical Center, 4101 Woolworth Ave, Omaha, NE 68105.