Innovations in the field of ultrasonography have facilitated the prenatal diagnosis and treatment of congenital malformations. The ability to diagnose congenital anomalies accurately has impacted the care of neonates with airway compromise at the time of delivery. In the past, attempts to establish an emergent airway at birth were often difficult and associated with significant mortality. This outcome is currently avoidable with the use of the ex utero intrapartum treatment (EXIT) procedure.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The ex-utero intrapartum treatment.Curr Opin Pediatr. 2002; 14: 453-458
- The EXIT procedure facilitates delivery of an infant with a pretracheal teratoma.Anesthesiology. 1998; 89: 1573-1575
- Ex utero intrapartum therapy.Semin Pediatr Surg. 2003; 12: 190-195
- The EXIT procedure.J Pediatr Surg. 2002; 37: 418-426
- Four cases of the ex utero intrapartum treatment (EXIT) procedure.Int J Obstet Anesth. 2004; 13: 178-182
- Airway management during an EXIT procedure for a fetus with dysgnathia complex.Paediatr Anaesth. 2004; 14: 781-785
- Successful EXIT procedure in fetus diagnosed prenatally with congenital high-airway obstruction syndrome due to laryngeal atresia.Eur J Pediatr Surg. 2000; 10: 328-333
- Salvage of a fetus with congenital high airway obstruction syndrome ex utero intrapartum treatment (EXIT) procedure.Fetal Diagn Ther. 2000; 15: 280-282
- Successful management of fetal cervical teratoma using the EXIT procedure.J Maternal-Fetal Med. 1999; 8: 295-297
- The ex utero intrapartum treatment procedure for a large fetal neck mass in a twin gestation.Obstet Gynecol. 1999; 93: 824-825
- Median sternotomy as an EXIT procedure in a child with massive pericardial tumor.J Pediatr Surg. 2004; 39: 1408-1410
Accepted: June 11, 2005
© 2006 Mosby, Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.