We recently identified MUC1 as a target driving selection for 1q21 amplification and validated it as an independent marker of aggressive behavior in thyroid cancer (TC). The aims of this study were to determine whether TC cell lines retain MUC1 expression patterns that are seen in primary tumors, assess the role of MUC1 in tumor maintenance, and develop a virally delivered anti-MUC1 RNA interference (RNAi) that is effective in decreasing MUC1 expression in vitro.
Fifteen TC cell lines were screened for MUC1 protein expression. Cell lines with varying MUC1 protein levels were treated with anti-MUC1 monoclonal antibody to assess cell viability. A recombinant retroviral short hairpin RNAi delivery system against MUC1 was developed. Efficacy and optimal dosing of short hairpin RNA against MUC1 was determined.
MUC1 expression patterns in TC cell lines were found to be similar to that seen in primary tumors. Treatment with anti-MUC1 antibody resulted in a significant decrease in cell viability in MUC1 over-expressing cell lines. MUC1-779 RNAi construct showed excellent infection efficiency and reproducible silencing.
These data offer functional evidence that implicates MUC1 over-expression as a key molecular event in the pathogenesis of aggressive TC. Retrovirally delivered anti-MUC1 RNAi is effective in silencing MUC1 and merits further investigation to establish therapeutic efficacy and safety in anticipation of potential clinical application.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Controversies in the management of the thyroid nodule.Laryngoscope. 2000; 110: 183-193
- Patterns of failure in differentiated carcinoma of the thyroid based on risk groups.Head Neck. 1998; 20: 26-30
- The molecular outlook.Nature. 2002; 415: 484-485
- Anaplastic thyroid carcinoma: association with differentiated thyroid cancer.Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 1998; 114: 40-44
- Genome-wide appraisal of thyroid cancer progression.Am J Pathol. 2002; 161: 1549-1556
- Genome-wide profiling of papillary thyroid cancer identifies MUC1 as an independent prognostic marker.Cancer Res. 2004; 64: 3780-3789
- Human MUC1 mucin: a multifaceted glycoprotein.Int J Biol Markers. 2000; 15: 343-356
- Mucins in cancer: protection and control of the cell surface.Nat Rev Cancer. 2004; 4: 45-60
- MUC1 and cancer.Biochim Biophys Acta. 1999; 1455: 301-313
- MUC1 and breast cancer.Curr Opin Mol Ther. 1999; 1: 98-103
- Contribution of the MUC1 tandem repeat and cytoplasmic tail to invasive and metastatic properties of a pancreatic cancer cell line.Cancer Res. 2003; 63: 5011-5020
- Distinct and complementary information provided by use of tissue and DNA microarrays in the study of breast tumor markers.Am J Pathol. 2002; 161: 1223-1233
- Large-scale serial analysis of gene expression reveals genes differentially expressed in ovarian cancer.Cancer Res. 2000; 60: 6281-6287
- MUC-1 expression as a predictor of the curative endoscopic treatment of submucosally invasive colorectal carcinoma.Dis Colon Rectum. 1998; 41: 1262-1272
- Mucin 1 antigens in the serum and bronchial lavage fluid of patients with lung cancer.Cancer. 1993; 72: 2936-2942
- Mucin-producing adenocarcinoma of the lung, with special reference to goblet cell type adenocarcinoma: immunohistochemical observation and Ki-ras gene mutation.Pathol Int. 1997; 47: 454-460
- Expression of potential target antigens for immunotherapy on primary and metastatic prostate cancers.Clin Cancer Res. 1998; 4: 295-302
- Human colon adenocarcinomas express a MUC1-associated novel carbohydrate epitope on core mucin glycans defined by a monoclonal antibody (A10) raised against murine Ehrlich tumor cells.Cancer Res. 1999; 59: 1061-1070
- Comparison of MUC-1 mucin expression in epithelial and non-epithelial cancer cell lines and demonstration of a new short variant form (MUC-1/Z).Int J Cancer. 1997; 72: 87-94
- MUC-1 core protein is expressed on multiple myeloma cells and is induced by dexamethasone.Blood. 1999; 93: 1287-1298
- MUC1 is activated in a B-cell lymphoma by the t(1;14)(q21;q32) translocation and is rearranged and amplified in B-cell lymphoma subsets.Blood. 2000; 95: 2666-2671
- The epithelial tumor antigen MUC1 is expressed in hematological malignancies and is recognized by MUC1-specific cytotoxic T-lymphocytes.Cancer Res. 2001; 61: 6846-6850
- In vivo targeting of underglycosylated MUC-1 tumor antigen using a multimodal imaging probe.Cancer Res. 2004; 64: 1821-1827
- Potent and specific genetic interference by double-stranded RNA in Caenorhabditis elegans.Nature. 1998; 391: 806-811
- Blocking oncogenes in malignant cells by RNA interference: New hope for a highly specific cancer treatment?.Cancer Cell. 2002; 2: 167-168
- Stable suppression of tumorigenicity by virus-mediated RNA interference.Cancer Cell. 2002; 2: 243-247
- Killing of leukemic cells with a bcr/abl fusion gene by RNA interference (RNAi).Oncogene. 2002; 21: 5716-5724
- p53 regulates cell survival by inhibiting PIK3CA in squamous cell carcinomas.Genes Dev. 2002; 16: 984-993
- Analysis of mutation in human cells by using an Epstein-Barr virus shuttle system.Mol Cell Biol. 1987; 7: 379-387
- Production of high-titer helper-free retroviruses by transient transfection.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1993; 90: 8392-8396
- The pcl vector system: rapid production of helper-free, high-titer, recombinant retroviruses.J Virol. 1996; 70: 5701-5705
- High-titer retroviral vectors containing the enhanced green fluorescent protein gene for efficient expression in hematopoietic cells.Blood. 1997; 90: 3316-3321
Maghami E, Patel KN, Talbot S, et al. RNAi-based gene therapy against squamous cell carcinoma related oncogene (SCCRO) amplified in mucosal squamous cell cancers (MOSCC).
- Addiction to oncogenes: the Achilles heal of cancer.Science. 2002; 297: 63-64
- Heterogeneity of MUC1 expression by human breast carcinoma cell lines in vivo and in vitro.Breast Cancer Res Treat. 1999; 58: 255-266
- The breast mucin MUCI as a novel adhesion ligand for endothelial intercellular adhesion molecule 1 in breast cancer.Cancer Res. 1996; 56: 4244-4249
- A mechanism for inhibition of E-cadherin-mediated cell-cell adhesion by the membrane-associated mucin episialin/MUC1.Mol Biol Cell. 1996; 7: 565-577
- Episialin (MUC1) overexpression inhibits integrin-mediated cell adhesion to extracellular matrix components.J Cell Biol. 1995; 129: 255-265
- Decreased MUC1 expression induces E-cadherin-mediated cell adhesion of breast cancer cell lines.Cancer Res. 1998; 58: 2014-2019
- MUC1 and the immunobiology of cancer.J Mammary Gland Biol Neoplasia. 2002; 7: 209-221
- MUC1 alters beta-catenin-dependent tumor formation and promotes cellular invasion.Oncogene. 2003; 22: 1324-1332
- MUC1 cytoplasmic domain coactivates Wnt target gene transcription and confers transformation.Cancer Biol Ther. 2003; 2: 702-706
- Interaction of the DF3/MUC1 breast carcinoma-associated antigen and beta-catenin in cell adhesion.J Biol Chem. 1997; 272: 12492-12494
- Human DF3/MUC1 carcinoma-associated protein functions as an oncogene.Oncogene. 2003; 22: 6107-6110
- Antibody-dependent cell-mediated cytotoxicity can be induced by MUC1 peptide vaccination of breast cancer patients.Int J Cancer. 2001; 93: 97-106
- Phagocytosis of breast cancer cells mediated by anti-MUC1 monoclonal antibody, DF3, and its bispecific antibody.Cancer Res. 2001; 61: 4061-4065
- DF3/MUC1 signaling in multiple myeloma cells is regulated by interleukin-7.Cancer Biol Ther. 2003; 2: 187-193
- The MUC1 oncoprotein activates the anti-apoptotic phosphoinositide 3-kinase/Akt and Bcl-xL pathways in rat 3Y1 fibroblasts.J Biol Chem. 2004; 279: 20607-20612
- Human MUC1 carcinoma-associated protein confers resistance to genotoxic anticancer agents.Cancer Cell. 2004; 5: 163-175
- Human MUC1 oncoprotein regulates p53-responsive gene transcription in the genotoxic stress response.Cancer Cell. 2005; 7: 167-178
- Retroviral vectors: new applications for an old tool.Gene Ther. 2004; 11: S3-S9
- Recent developments in retroviral gene delivery systems.Expert Opin Biol Ther. 2001; 1: 911-913
- RNA interference is a functional pathway with therapeutic potential in human myeloid leukemia cell lines.Cancer Gene Ther. 2003; 10: 125-133
- Selectivity of an oncolytic herpes simplex virus for cells expressing the DF3/MUC1 antigen.Cancer Res. 2004; 64: 2561-2567
Accepted: September 22, 2005New York, NY
Presented at the 26th Annual Meeting of the American Association of Endocrine Surgeons, Cancun, Mexico, April, 2005.
© 2005 Mosby, Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.