Hydatid disease, caused by the parasite Echinococcus granulosus, is a serious public health problem in endemic areas. Although the liver and lung are the most commonly involved organs, echinococcosis can occur in virtually all viscera and soft tissues.
1Primary pancreatic hydatid disease is extremely rare, accounting for 0.2% to 2% of all hydatid cases.
- Dziri C.
Hydatid disease: continuing serious public health problem: introduction.
World J Surg. 2001; 25: 1-3
2The best treatment for hydatid disease is surgical, and the rate of recurrence has been reported at 10%.
- Kayabali I.
- Gokcora I.H.
- Ormeci N.
Surgical treatment of hydatid cysts of the pancreas.
Int Surg. 1991; 76: 185-188
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Hydatid disease: continuing serious public health problem: introduction.World J Surg. 2001; 25: 1-3
- Surgical treatment of hydatid cysts of the pancreas.Int Surg. 1991; 76: 185-188
- Unusual localizations of hydatid cysts.J Chir. 1989; 126 (Paris): 307-312
- Hydatid disease with unusual localization.Eur Radiol. 2000; 10: 1904-1912
- Hydatid cyst of the pancreas.Eur J Pediatr Surg. 1995; 5: 121-123
- Chronic pancreatitis resulting from primary hydatid disease of the pancreas.Gastrointest Endosc. 1999; 49: 791-793
- A case of primary hydatid disease of the pancreas simulating cystic neoplasm.Pancreas. 2000; 21: 104-105
- Presinusoidal portal hypertension secondary to portal invasive echinococcosis.J Clin Gastroenterol. 2002; 34: 103-104
- Hydatid cyst of the head of the pancreas with spontaneous fistula to duodenum.Am J Gastroenterol. 1987; 82: 1311-1313
- Pancreatic abscess due to infected hydatid disease.Surgery. 1987; 102: 880-882
- Clinical considerations of primary hydatid disease of the pancreas.Pancreatology. 2005; 5: 457-461
- Medical treatment of liver hydatidosis.World J Surg. 2001; 25: 15-20
- Diagnosis of human hydatidosis.Am J Trop Med Hyg. 1994; 50: 64-68
- Laboratory diagnosis of cystic hydatic disease.World J Surg. 2001; 25: 10-14
- A case report of the unusual presence of hydatid disease in the pancreas and breast.JOP. 2004; 5: 368-372
Accepted: October 7, 2005
© 2006 Mosby, Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.