Matrix metalloproteinases (MMPs) play an important role in inflammation and neoplastic invasion and metastasis. Little is known about the effects of MMP inhibitors on hepatic ischemia/reperfusion injury. The aim of this study is to examine the inhibitory effects of ONO-4817 (oral inhibitor of MMPs) in rats.
Hepatic ischemia/reperfusion was induced in male Wister rats by clamping the portal vein and hepatic artery. The animals were randomized into an ONO-4817 group (300 mg/kg body weight per/day) and a vehicle group by oral gavage of a test substance. Serum alanine aminotransferase, histologic changes, gelatinolytic activity, MMP-2 and MMP-9 activities, tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinase 2 (TIMP-2) messenger RNA (mRNA) levels, and mRNA and serum levels of tumor necrosis factor α (TNFα) and interleukin 1β (IL-1β) were measured in both groups.
ONO-4817 prevented ischemia/reperfusion injury to the hepatocytes as shown by significant reductions of serum alanine aminotransferase and less severe histologic changes. Gelatinolytic activity was inhibited markedly in the liver of the ONO-4817 group as demonstrated by film in situ zymography. MMP-9 and MMP-2 activities also were inhibited in the ONO-4817 group as shown by gelatin zymography. TIMP-2 mRNA levels showed no significant differences between the 2 groups. TNFα mRNA showed no downregulation, but IL-1β mRNA was downregulated in the liver of the ONO-4817 group 1 to 3 hours after reperfusion. Serum levels of TNFα and IL-1β showed a significant decrease in the ONO-4817 group, compared with the vehicle group after reperfusion.
Hepatic ischemia/reperfusion injury was improved by a novel MMP inhibitor, ONO-4817, not only by inhibition of gelatinolytic activity but also by a decrease in release of inflammatory cytokines.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Intercellular adhesion molecule 1 (ICAM-1) expression and its role in neutrophil-induced ischemia-reperfusion injury in rat liver.Journal of Leukoce Biol. 1995; 57: 368-374
- Chemokine involvement in hepatic ischemia/reperfusion injury in mice.Hepatology. 1998; 27 ([republished from Hepatology 1998;27:507-12]): 1172-1177
- Mechanisms of neutrophil-induced parenchymal cell injury.J Leukoc Biol. 1997; 61: 647-653
- Matrix metalloproteinases.Crit Rev Oral Biol Med. 1993; 4: 197-250
- Matrix metalloproteinases correlate with alveolar-capillary permeability alteration in lung ischemia-reperfusion injury.Transplantation. 2000; 70: 998-1005
- Matrix metalloproteinase-2 contributes to ischemia-reperfusion injury in the heart.Circulation. 2000; 101: 1833-1839
- Matrix metalloproteinase expression increases after cerebral focal ischemia in rats.Stroke. 1998; 29: 1020-1030
- Estimation of gelatinase content in rat brain.Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2000; 278: 803-807
- Tumor necrosis factor-alpha-induced gelatinase B causes delayed opening of the blood-brain barrier.Brain Res. 1995; 703: 151-155
- Matrix metalloproteinases and TIMPs are associated with blood-brain barrier opening after reperfusion in rat brain.Stroke. 1998; 29: 2189-2195
- Focal cerebral ischemia induces active proteases that degrade microvascular matrix.Stroke. 2004; 35: 998-1004
- Closure of the blood-brain barrier by matrix metalloproteinase inhibition reduces rtPA-mediated mortality in cerebral ischemia with delayed reperfusion.Stroke. 2003; 34: 2025-2030
- Cancer cell invasion and metastasis.Sci Am. 1992; 266 (62-3): 54-59
- Contributions of tumor and stromal matrix metalloproteinases to tumor progression, invasion and metastasis.Cancer Metastasis Rev. 1995; 14: 351-362
- Molecular and cellular basis of cancer invasion and metastasis.Br J Surg. 1994; 81: 1576-1590
- Angiogenesis in psoriasis.J Invest Dermatol. 1972; 59: 40-43
- Rat liver injury after normothermic ischemia is prevented by a phosphinic matrix metalloproteinase inhibitor.Faseb J. 2002; 16: 93-95
- ONO-4817, an orally active matrix metalloproteinase inhibitor, prevents lipopolysaccharide-induced proteoglycan release from the joint cartilage in guinea pigs.Inflamm Res. 2000; 49: 144-146
- ONO-4817, a novel matrix metalloproteinase inhibitor, attenuates allograft vasculopathy in a rat cardiac transplant.J Heart Lung Transplant. 2004; 23: 1163-1169
- A one-hour minipreparation technique for extraction of DNA-binding proteins from animal tissues.Biotechniques. 1994; 16: 405
- Quantification of low-copy transcripts by continuous SYBR Green I monitoring during amplification.Biotechniques. 1998; 24 (960, 962): 954-958
- Microscopic localization of active proteases by in situ zymography.Faseb J. 1995; 9: 974-980
- Evidence for altered balance between matrix metalloproteinases and their inhibitors in human aortic diseases.Circulation. 1997; 95: 205-212
- Localisation of gelatinase activity in epidermal hoof lamellae by in situ zymography.Histochem Cell Biol. 1998; 110: 535-540
- A novel in situ-zymography technique localizes gelatinolytic activity in human skin to mast cells.Exp Dermatol. 1998; 7: 321-326
- Enhanced production and activation of progelatinase A mediated by membrane-type 1 matrix metalloproteinase in human papillary thyroid carcinomas.Cancer Res. 1999; 59: 467-473
- Inhibition of gelatinolytic activity in tumor tissues by synthetic matrix metalloproteinase inhibitor.Clin Cancer Res. 2000; 6: 3290-3296
- Subtractive cloning identifies tissue inhibitor of matrix metalloproteinase-1 (TIMP-1) increased gene expression following focal stroke.Stroke. 1998; 29: 516-520
- MAP3K-related kinase involved in NF-kappaB induction by TNF, CD95 and IL-1.Nature. 1997; 385: 540-544
- Activation of nuclear factor-kappaB during orthotopic liver transplantation in rats is protective and does not require Kupffer cells.Liver Transpl Surg. 1999; 5: 282-293
- Interleukin-10 suppresses hepatic ischemia/reperfusion injury in mice.Hepatology. 1999; 30: 203-208
- Interleukin 18 causes hepatic ischemia/reperfusion injury by suppressing anti-inflammatory cytokine expression in mice.Hepatology. 2004; 39: 699-710
- Effects of anti-inflammatory cytokine agent (FR167653) and serine protease inhibitor on warm ischemia-reperfusion injury of the liver graft.Transplantation. 2004; 77: 1487-1493
- Pyrrolidine dithiocarbamate provides protection against hypothermic preservation and transplantation injury in the rat liver.Surgery. 2003; 133: 556-567
- Alpha-lipoic acid preconditioning reduces ischemia-reperfusion injury of the rat liver via the PI3-kinase/Akt pathway.Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2003; 285: G769-G778
- Ischemic preconditioning and methylprednisolone both equally reduce hepatic ischemia/reperfusion injury.Surgery. 2004; 135: 203-214
- Prevention of hepatic ischemia-reperfusion injury by green tea extract.Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2002; 283: G957-G964
- Processing of tumour necrosis factor-alpha precursor by metalloproteinases.Nature. 1994; 370: 555-557
- Regulation of tumour necrosis factor-alpha processing by a metalloproteinase inhibitor.Nature. 1994; 370: 558-561
- An orally active matrix metalloproteinase inhibitor, ONO-4817, reduces dextran sulfate sodium-induced colitis in mice.Inflamm Res. 2004; 53: 462-468
- Matrix metalloproteinase inhibitor regulates inflammatory cell migration by reducing ICAM-1 and VCAM-1 expression in a murine model of toluene diisocyanate-induced asthma.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2003; 111: 1278-1284
Accepted: October 11, 2005
© 2006 Mosby, Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.