The optimum sentinel node biopsy (SNB) mapping method for breast cancer remains to be determined. No matter which mapping agents are used, 2-site injection may be superior to 1-site injection in limiting the false-negative rate.
We examined whether a double-mapping method with subareolar injection of blue dye and peritumoral injection of green dye would decrease the false-negative rate of dye-only SNB in 145 patients with early breast cancer.
The identification rate for blue-dyed and/or green-dyed (including mixed color-dyed) lymph nodes was 96.6% (140/145). Sensitivity and specificity were 95.1% (39/41) and 100% (99 of 99), respectively. Accuracy was 98.6% (138/140) with a false-negative rate of 4.9% (2/41). There were 4 patients in whom nodes of each color were found, but nodes of only 1 color were shown to be positive. The primary tumors of these 4 patients and of the 2 patients with false-negative results were located in the upper-outer quadrant of the breast. When only blue-dyed or green-dyed nodes (including mixed color-dyed nodes) were counted, the false-negative rates were 10.3% (4/39) for the subareolar mapping technique and 10.0% (4/40) for the peritumoral mapping technique.
The double-mapping method based on subareolar and peritumoral injections decreases the false-negative rate of dye-only SNB for early breast cancer. Variations in lymphatic channels may exist in the lateral half of the breast and thus may influence identification of positive sentinel nodes. This finding should be taken into account in cases of multicentric breast cancer.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Emergence of sentinel node biopsy in breast cancer as standard-of-care in academic comprehensive cancer centers.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2003; 95: 1514-1521
- Recent development of sentinel lymph node biopsy for breast cancer in Japan.Asian J Surg. 2004; 27: 275-278
- Lymphatic mapping and sentinel lymph node biopsy for breast cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2005; 23: 1698-1705
- Technical advances in sentinel lymph node biopsy for breast cancer.Am Surg. 2004; 70: 407-413
- Combination technique is superior to dye alone in identification of the sentinel node in breast cancer patients.J Surg Oncol. 2001; 76: 95-99
- The learning curve and sentinel node biopsy.Am J Surg. 2001; 182: 347-350
- Learning curves for breast cancer sentinel lymph node mapping based on surgical volume analysis.J Am Coll Surg. 2001; 193: 593-600
- Learning curve for the detection of axillary sentinel lymph node in breast cancer.Eur J Surg Oncol. 2003; 29: 426-433
- A trend analysis of the relative value of blue dye and isotope localization in 2,000 consecutive cases of sentinel node biopsy for breast cancer.J Am Coll Surg. 2001; 193: 473-478
- Multicentre study of detection and false-negative rates in sentinel node biopsy for breast cancer.Br J Surg. 2001; 88: 1644-1648
- Practical guidelines for optimal gamma probe detection of sentinel lymph nodes in breast cancer.Surgery. 2000; 128: 139-144
- Highest isotope count does not predict sentinel node positivity in all breast cancer patients.Ann Surg Oncol. 2001; 8: 592-597
- Biology of lymphatic metastases in breast cancer.Ann Surg Oncol. 2002; 9: 467-471
- The hottest sentinel lymph node is not always the positive node.Am Surg. 2004; 70: 475-478
- A randomized comparison of sentinel-node biopsy with routine axillary dissection in breast cancer.N Engl J Med. 2003; 349: 546-553
- Preliminary technical results of NSABP B-32, a randomized phase III clinical trial to compare sentinel node resection to conventional axillary dissection in clinically node-negative breast cancer patients.Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2004; 88 (abstract 14): S11-S12
- Dye-guided sentinel node biopsy revisited; validation and observational study from a single institute.Breast Cancer. 2003; 10: 254-259
- Correlation between concordance of tracers, order of harvest, and presence of metastases in sentinel lymph nodes with breast cancer.Ann Surg Oncol. 2005; 12: 497-503
- Sentinel node biopsy guided by indocyanine green dye in breast cancer patients.Jpn J Clin Oncol. 1999; 29: 604-607
- Medical epidemiology. Appleton & Lange, Norwalk (CT)1993
- Subareolar and peritumoral injection identify similar sentinel nodes for breast cancer.Ann Surg Oncol. 2002; 9: 169-176
- The sentinel node in breast cancer—a multicenter validation study.N Engl J Med. 1998; 339: 941-946
Accepted: November 25, 2005
Received in revised form: November 22, 2005
Received: June 26, 2005
© 2006 Mosby, Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.