This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Background. Technetium 99m diethylenetriaminepentaacetic acid-galactosyl-human serum albumin (99mTc-GSA) is a new liver scintigraphy agent that binds to the asialoglycoprotein receptors. We evaluated the clinical use of 99mTc-GSA for the perioperative assessment of hepatectomy.
Methods. Thirty-six patients with hepatocellular carcinoma were admitted for elective hepatectomy. 99mTc-GSA scintigraphy was obtained after the intravenous injection of 99mTc-GSA, and a modified receptor index (MRI) was calculated. 99mTc-GSA scintigraphy, conventional liver function, the plasma disappearance rate, and the 15-minute retention rate of indocyanine green (ICGR15) were carried out before operation and every 1 to 3 months after operation. The relationships between several systemic hemodynamic parameters, histologic activity index (HAI), plasma disappearance rate, and ICGR15 or MRI values were estimated.
Results. A significant correlation was obtained between the MRI and ICGR15 (r=0.6231, p<0.001). Plasma disappearance rates correlated well with systolic volume and left cardiac work, whereas MRI values did not correlate with these systemic hemodynamics. Preoperative discrepancies between the values of MRI and ICGR15 were seen in eight cases. In these cases the MRI values correlated well with HAI scores (p<0.05) but there was no significant correlation between ICGR15 values and the HAI scores.
Conclusions. These results suggested the use of 99mTc-GSA scintigraphy as a easy and reliable method for determining liver functional reserve.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- ([Abstract])A tricarbocyanine dye for continuous recording of dilution curves in whole blood independent of variations in blood oxygen saturation.in: Fed Proc. 16. 1957: 39
- Estimation of the functional reserve of human liver.Ann Surg. 1974; 180: 592-598
- A multiple regression equation for prediction of posthepatectomy liver failure.Ann Surg. 1984; 200: 658-663
- Carbohydrate-specific receptors of the liver.Ann Rev Biochem. 1982; 51: 531-534
- Decrease of a hepatic binding protein specific for asialoglycoproteins with accumulation of serum asialoglycoproteins in galactosamine-treated rats.Gastroenterology. 1981; 81: 527-533
- Hyperasialoglycoproteinemia in patients with chronic liver diseases and/or liver cell carcinoma: asiaroglycoprotein receptor in cirrhosis and liver cell carcinoma.Gastroenterology. 1984; 87: 1217-1221
- Continous monitoring of cardiogreen removal by a diseased liver using an optical sensor.Society of Photo-Optical Instrumentation Engineers. 1988; 904: 39-46
- Formulation and application of a numerical scoring system for assessing histological activity in asymptomatic chronic active hepatitis.Hepatology. 1981; 1: 431-435
- Research and clinical potential of receptor based radiopharmaceuticals.J Nucl Med. 1985; 26: 655-662
- Receptor-binding radiopharmaceuticals: experimental and clinical aspects.in: Freeman LM Weissmann HS Nuclear medicine annual 1986. Raven Press, New York1986: 105-139
- Technetium-99m galactosyl-neoglycoalbumin: preparation and preclinical studies.J Nucl Med. 1985; 26: 1157-1167
- Technetium-99m NGA functional hepatic imaging: preliminary clinical experience.J Nucl Med. 1985; 26: 1233-1242
- Initial clinical experience with a new kit formulation of Tc-99m-β galactosylated albumin for functional hepatic imaging.Nucl Med Commun. 1990; 11: 469-475
- Clinical application of the measurement of serum asialoglycoproteins to estimate residual liver function in patients with chronic liver diseases with or without hepatocellular carcinoma.Gastroenterol Jpn. 1985; 20: 201-208
- Tc-99m-galactosyl-neoglycoalbumin: in vivo characterization of receptor-mediated binding to hepatocytes.Radiology. 1984; 151: 191-196
- Tc-99m-galactosyl-neoglycoalbumin: in vitro characterization of receptor-mediated binding.J Nucl Med. 1984; 25: 779-787
- Intact hepatocyte theory of impaired drug metabolism in experimental cirrhosis in the rat.Gastroenterology. 1979; 76: 1358-1362
- Modulation of the transport of bilirubin and asialoorosomucoid during liver regeneration.Hepatology. 1981; 1: 99-106
- Quantitation of intrinsic drug-metabolizing capacity in human liver biopsy specimens: support for the intact-hepatocyte theory.Hepatology. 1991; 13: 475-481
- Diminished hepatic binding protein for desialylated glycoproteins during chemical hepatocarcinogenesis.Cancer Res. 1980; 40: 3632-3634
- Estimation of functional hepatic mass in resected and regenerating rat liver.Gastroenterology. 1974; 67: 691-699
- Receptor index via hepatic asialoglycoprotein receptor imaging: correlation with chronic hepatocellular damage.Am J Gastroenterol. 1992; 87: 865-870
Accepted: August 30, 1994
© 1995 Mosby-Year Book, Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc.