This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Background. Early detection of asymptomatic abdominal aortic aneurysms (AAAs) has been advocated to decrease the high mortality rate of ruptured AAAs. The purpose of this study was to document how AAAs were detected, whether AAAs not detected on physical examination (PE) were palpable, and what factors precluded detection by PE.
Methods. Two hundred forty-three patients undergoing elective infrarenal AAA repair at a Veterans Affairs, county, or university hospital during a 10-year period were analyzed retrospectively. The method of initial detection of the AAA, size of the AAA at initial detection and before repair, and whether the AAA was palpable on preoperative PE were recorded, and the body mass index [BMI; weight in kg/(height in meters)2] was calculated. Obese patients were defined with MBI of greater than 85th percentile.
Results. Only 93 (38%) patients had their AAAs initially detected by PE; the remainder (62%) were found incidentally on radiologic examinations performed for other indications. Patients with p<0.001), but there was no difference in AAA size (PE, 5.8±1.6 cm; incidental, 5.5±1.9 cm, not significant). Forty-three percent of patients with AAAs detected on radiologic examination had palpable AAAs and should have been detected on PE. Overall, 55 (23%) AAAs were not palpable on preoperative PE, even when the diagnosis was known. Obese patients had only 15% of AAAs detected by PE, and only 33% were palpable.
Conclusions. AAAs are underdiagnosed by PE, especially in obese persons. More widespread abdominal examination to detect a widened aortic pulse would improve detection of AAAs.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- (Mortality, part A) (DHHS publication no. (PHS) 91-1101)Vital statistics of the United States, 1988. vol 2. Government Printing Office, Washington1991
- Elective resection of 332 abdominal aortic aneurysms in a southern West Virginia community during a recent five-year period.Surgery. 1991; 109: 244-251
- Ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysms: a study of incidence and mortality.Br J Surg. 1986; 73: 101-103
- Body mass index variation: centiles from birth to 87 years.Eur J Clin Nutr. 1991; 45: 13-21
- An overview of body weight of older persons, including the impact on mortality: the national health and nutrition examination survey I—epidemiologic follow-up study.J Clin Epidemiol. 1991; 44: 743-753
- Changing incidence of abdominal aortic aneurysms: a population-based study.Am J Epidemiol. 1984; 120: 379-386
- Selective screening for abdominal aortic aneurysms with physical examination and ultrasound.Arch Intern Med. 1988; 148: 1753-1756
- Abdominal aortic aneurysm: still missing the message.Br J Surg. 1993; 80: 450-452
- The value of angiography in the diagnosis of unruptured aneurysms of the abdominal aorta.Ann Thorac Surg. 1971; 11: 538-550
- Positive predictive value of clinical suspicion of abdominal aortic aneurysm: implications for efficient use of abdominal ultrasonography.Arch Intern Med. 1990; 150: 549-551
- The periodic physical examination in asymptomatic adults.Ann Intern Med. 1989; 110: 214-226
- Periodic health examination, 1991 update: 5. Screening for abdominal aortic aneurysm.Can Med Assoc J. 1991; 145: 783-789
- Oxford screening programme for abdominal aortic aneurysm in men aged 65 to 74 years.Lancet. 1988; 2: 613-615
- General practice-based population screening for abdominal aortic aneurysms: a pilot study.Br J Surg. 1989; 76: 479-480
- The Gloucestershire aneurysm screening programme: the first 2 years' experience.Eur J Vasc Surg. 1993; 7: 397-401
- Abdominal aortic aneurysm in 4237 screened patients: prevalence, development and management over 6 years.Br J Surg. 1991; 78: 1122-1125
- Abdominal aortic aneurysm as an incidental finding in abdominal ultrasonography.Br J Surg. 1991; 78: 1261-1263
- High prevalence of abdominal aortic aneurysm in men with peripheral vascular disease: screening by ultrasonography.Br J Surg. 1988; 75: 240-242
- Unrecognized aneurysmal disease in male hypertensive patients.Br J Surg. 1984; 71: 307-308
- Prevelance of unsuspected abdominal aortic aneurysms in male veterans.Ann Vasc Surg. 1993; 7: 117-121
Accepted: September 21, 1994
© 1995 Mosby-Year Book, Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc.