Medial pancreatectomy is an alternative technique for benign or low-grade malignant tumors of the neck of the pancreas. We describe our experience of laparoscopic central pancreatectomy.
We conducted a prospective evaluation of laparoscopic pancreatic resection in the Department of Abdominal Surgery at Haut-Lévêque Hospital, CHU Bordeaux. From January 1999 until February 2006, 397 patients underwent pancreatic resection for pancreatic lesions, of whom 60 (15%) were enrolled for laparoscopic pancreatic resection. Of the 60 patients, 6 underwent laparoscopic central pancreatectomy. Surgical procedure, postoperative course, and follow-up data were collected.
Laparoscopic central pancreatectomy was successful in all patients. In 1 case, we had to perform a laparotomy to find the specimen, which had been lost in the cavity during the anastomosis. The median operative time was 225 minutes (range, 180 to 365 minutes). None of the patients required blood transfusion in the perioperative period, and there was no mortality. Symptomatic pancreatic fistula occurred in 2 patients (33%). None of the patients required reoperation or radiologic drainage. Oral feeding was resumed in a median of 11 days (range, 9 to 21 days). The median postoperative hospital stay was 18 days (range, 15 to 25 days). At a median follow-up of 15 months (range, 4 to 34 months), all patients were alive without exocrine or endocrine insufficiency.
Laparoscopic central pancreatectomy is feasible and safe. Laparoscopic central pancreatectomy may become the standard approach for resection of benign or low-grade malignant tumors of the neck of the pancreas if performed by highly skilled surgeons.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Functional and morphological changes in the pancreatic remnant following pancreaticoduodenectomy with pancreaticogastric anastomosis.Br J Surg. 2000; 87: 434-438
- Pancreaticojejunal anastomosis is preferable to pancreaticogastrostomy after pancreaticoduodenectomy for longterm outcomes of pancreatic exocrine function.J Am Coll Surg. 2005; 201: 239-244
- Functional results of pancreatic surgery [in French].Rev Prat. 2002; 52: 1572-1575
- Simultaneous pancreas-kidney transplantation from live donors.Ann Surg. 1997; 226 (discussion 480-2): 471-480
- Duodenum preservation in pancreatic head resection to maintain pancreatic exocrine function (determined by pancreatic function diagnostant test and cholecystokinin secretion).J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Surg. 2005; 12: 123-128
- Dorsal pancreatectomy: an embryology-based resection.J Gastrointest Surg. 2006; 10: 434-438
- Limited conservative pancreatectomy for benign tumours: a new technical approach.Br J Surg. 1988; 75: 719
- Central pancreatectomy: a technique for the resection of pancreatic neck lesions.Arch Surg. 2006; 141: 293-299
- Central pancreatectomy revisited.J Gastrointest Surg. 2006; 10: 804-812
- Central pancreatectomy with pancreaticogastrostomy for benign pancreatic pathology.J Gastrointest Surg. 2004; 8: 532-538
- Medial pancreatectomy: a multi-institutional retrospective study of 53 patients by the French Pancreas Club.Surgery. 2002; 132: 836-843
- Laparoscopic resection of the pancreas: a feasibility study of the short-term outcome.Surg Endosc. 2004; 18: 407-411
- Laparoscopic distal pancreatectomy combined with preservation of the spleen for cystic neoplasms of the pancreas.J Gastrointest Surg. 2004; 8: 493-501
- Laparoscopic pancreatectomy: a series of 22 patients [in French].Ann Chir. 2004; 129 (discussion 8-10): 2-7
- Laparoscopic pancreatic resection: single-institution experience of 19 patients.J Am Coll Surg. 2001; 193: 281-287
- Laparoscopic pancreatic surgery: current indications and surgical results.Surg Endosc. 2004; 18: 402-406
- Laparoscopic pancreatic resection: results of a multicenter European study of 127 patients.Surgery. 2005; 137: 597-605
- Therapeutic laparoscopy of the pancreas.Ann Surg. 2002; 236: 149-158
- Diabetes mellitus.in: Ledingham J.G.G. Weatherall D.J. Warell D.A. Oxford Medical Publications, New York1987: 51-101
- Laparoscopic approach for solitary insulinoma: a multicentre study.Langenbecks Arch Surg. 2005; 390: 134-140
- Laparoscopic central pancreatectomy.Am J Surg. 2006; 191: 549-552
- Pancreaticogastrostomy for reconstruction after medial pancreatectomy.J Am Coll Surg. 2004; 199: 163-165
- Medial pancreatectomy.J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Surg. 2000; 7: 453-455
- Median pancreatectomy for tumors of the neck and body of the pancreas.J Am Coll Surg. 2000; 190: 711-716
- Laparoscopic general surgery.N Engl J Med. 1994; 330: 409-419
- Indications of laparoscopic general and digestive surgery.Ann Chir. 2006; 131: 125-148
Accepted: January 27, 2007
© 2007 Mosby, Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.